Thursday, June 15, 2006

Flag Day

Yesterday was Flag Day and I planned to mark the day by starting work on my interpretation of this element of an antique quilt that has captured the imagination of the hand piecers on about.com


The original photo comes from the book, The American Quilt A History of Cloth and Comfort 1750-1950, by Roderick Kiracofe and Mary Elizabeth Johnson.

But ... it was a perfect spring evening here last night and I had dinner outside on the deck and lingered too long, enjoying the cool air, the meal, my glass of wine ... and catching up on blog-reading on my wireless laptop.

Flag MONTH continues through July 14 and, by executive order, the Governor urges Michigan residents to observe Flag Day and Flag Month by flying the U.S. flag from their homes and other suitable places to honor America and celebrate our national heritage. Do you think I might observe and honor by having my own flag pieced by then?

3 comments:

Sandra said...

It looks like a great project. As a fellow michigander, I just noticed that my husband put up a flag after a few years of not having one. It was quite a surprise to look out the window and see one on our pole. Not against them...just had a hard time keeping them from tangling in the nearby tree.

Christine Thresh said...

Sophie,
I didn't know you had a blog. I'll check in every day and see what you are doing.

Christine

sophie said...

If you check every day, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed ... The blog was a requirement for a strudy group that worked through The Artist Way book last Fall/Winter. These days, I'm not a frequent blogger, though I love the ability to easily share photos and thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...