Thursday, April 05, 2007

More from Blue Ridge Quiltfest

We were a small group--made smaller because of some last minute cancellations--but that didn't stop us. We had workshops. We shopped. We won door prizes, lotto blocks and Lou won the featherweight.

Lou wins the Featherweight drawing

Becky Davis' handpiecers were focused and after class, they continued to work on their blocks all weekend.

Becky and some of the hand piecers

Janet's Carolina Byways class was fun. I think everyone had a different vision for their quilt. Krista made a mini; Ellena brought wonderful Civil War repros; Lou had wonderful fabrics, too ... I brought pieces from my scrap bin. Krista finished her mini quilt the next day. I brought home a pile of light half-blocks and dark strips ... but I have since made some progress. I'm auditioning border fabrics now. You can tell that the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains made an impression on me.

Krista and her miniature Carolina Byways quilt Carolina Byways in Progress

Friday night we had Show & Tell in the Living Room.

Dorothy's Antique Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt

Click the photo of Dorothy and Becky (with the vintage quilt top that Dorothy is finishing) to see the rest of my Show & Tell photos.

On Saturday, a bunch of our crowd headed to the galleries and quilt shops in Asheville, while three us spent the day with Meg Manderson making miniature landscapes.

Meg Manderson

Meg is a local fiber artist who creates beautiful landscapes (and other interesting work.)

Meg Manderson Landscape

Saturday night, we gathered for more door prizes and the block lotto drawing. I still can't believe I won.

Janet drew the name ...

Afterward, Krista pulled out her big box of fabric and made a few baby quilts from some I-spy swap fabrics.

Ellena and Krista working on a charity quilt Finished Top - Charity quilt # 1

The first top went together quickly and after a bit of excitement with a shattered needle and some EMTs, a second top was completed.

paramedics Kitty I-spy for Charity

By the end of the evening, two quilts were "birthed," and ready to be quilted and a third top was almost completed.

Two Charity Quilts

On Sunday, some of us were on the road early, some spent a leisurely morning at the country club, packing up, checking email and saying goodbye.

I was a little worried when my suitcase seemed quite full when I'd only packed the fabric. Everything fit ... just barely.

Packing Packed

Janet and Dorothy and I headed into Asheville to check out a possible venue for next year and lunch before I headed to the airport and home. On the way to the airport, I picked up a new pair of travel scissor so I could work on my landscape.

Airplane Scissors

The longer my flight from Cincinnati was delayed, the happier I was to have handwork to do.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...