Kate is hosting a birthday block swap on the quilting forum on about.com. Robin, the birthday girl for June asked for traditional blocks in red and green on white for a Christmas quilt. I resized Edyta Sitar's Dresden Star pattern and things were sailing along with my last minute effort, until I got to this point . . .
I was pressing the ring and being pretty heavy handed with the spray starch–to make it easier to machine appliqué the center onto it–when I looked down and saw red . . . bleeding onto the white points.
Here's how the block would have turned out, had I finished it.
I suppose I needed a reminder about testing red fabrics. Most of these came out of my scrap bag, many of them were from a fabric swap from a few years ago. Before I begin again, I will take the time to make sure I'm sending a block that won't end up making Robin see red either.