Monday, June 13, 2016

Because Sometimes You Just Need a Break ...

I continue to make slow but sure progress making the 80 Lemoyne star blocks needed ... some of which are shown here  on my design wall with the strips intended for the borders.

Lemoyne Stars progress

But this weekend, I really need a break from working with Y-seams and inaccurately cut pieces ... and so I pulled out the golden oldie UFO and made the rest of the Summer Vine blocks from sets of strips–some more coordinated than others–swapped to make these blocks in 2002.

More Summer Vine blocks

Working on one thing can make you really appreciate the other–it was a joy to put together blocks for which the block "kits" are known to be the correct measurements ... and there are no Y-seams! 

I now have 95 of the Summer Vine blocks. I will making at least one more–but likely more than that–before deciding upon a layout and sewing them together. 

If you're curious, you can read more about this very old UFO with links to the pattern and block directions in this blog post.

15 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

You know, quilt blocks are funny. I love the Lemoyne stars separately, but I hate them together.

That white sort of overpowers everything!

Needled Mom said...

It looks like it was a productive and fun break!

Sewing Up A Storm said...

The Summer vine is so cheerful and colorful next to the LeMoyne star. I agree that sometimes you just need a break and something different. Looks like you are making great progress on both.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those white corners really stand out, don't they? I like the borders. It'll be interesting to see what I think when I see the whole thing. Your break blocks are fabulous! I'm so glad you took some time to sew for you, something more relaxing. That's a lot of blocks, but it's wonderful the way they go together. Moira is here and we were talking about you. Were your ears burning? It was all nice! She told me she's actually met you IRL! I'm jealous. =)

joe tulips said...

I'm feeling the joy too as I look at your break blocks. I'm going to go "study" your lemoyne stars. Do they get shashing?

joe tulips said...

Omg. I'm laughing at my spelling! I sound drunk!

Rebecca said...

Love the "fussy" looking borders for that star quilt!!!
And So Know what you mean by taking a break from a project. Problem for me is some of those breaks can be a year or so (ok 10 years) before I get back to it.

Mama Spark said...

I guess that's a good reason to have several projects going at one time.
Or at least that's my story...

Sharon said...

Your stars are coming along! I like the border, but not sure about the white corners in the blocks. Maybe it will look better when you get the whole thing together.

Yes, I agree about a break. Especially when you're doing something so tedious. I think your Summer Vine blocks are so fun! Love those bright cheery colors.

Linda in Calif. said...

I've been thinking about you a lot over the past month. I do hope you are doing okay.

Unknown said...

Nice pieces!

WilmaNC1 said...

I think the blocks are really pretty!

LA Paylor said...

Hi Sophie! what a lot of really beautiful work being done here. Love the improv bullseye blocks with the squares. Y seams are challenging but like driving a stick shift, once you get the feel of them they're easy. LeeAnna

Afton Warrick said...

Just touching base, are you coming along alright with the Quilting Mod Challenge?

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...