Sunday, August 04, 2013

A Foodie's Favorite Time of Year

Bag Full of Goodness from the Farmers MarketIt's that time of year, when any trip to the local Farmers Market means many tasty meals and new things to try.

I was disappointed that the goat cheese ladies didn't have their feta this week, but happy to find a basket of beautiful heirloom tomatoes on a table in the corner inside. I came home with three of the beauties, picked up some quinoa-millet bread at the gluten-free bakery on the way, and knew I'd be making Panzanella for lunch today.

Heirloom Tomatoes and Fresh Baked BreadPanzanella is an Italian bread salad made from mostly tomatoes and bread.


Today, I tried this recipe for Heirloom Tomato Panzanella from the blog, What's Gaby Cooking?  The bread became garlic herbed croutons, I added some yellow cherry tomatoes to the heirlooms and made a fresh vinaigrette, with lots of basil.

Panzanella

Yum.  

Johnny checking out the Beets from the Farmer's Market Bag
I wasn't the only one excited about all the beautiful veggies and fresh herbs that came home with me from the Farmers Market ... Johnny thought the green tops of the organic beets were irresistible.

It's also that time of year when chile roasters are being set up all over town.  I bought chiles, both fresh and freshly roasted, too, and told myself I was going to taste my way through all the varieties available this year as part of my continuing chile education.

2 comments:

Kate North said...

The panzanella looks great - we are enjoying lovely tomatoes here as well, though I haven't run into any unusual varieties yet...

Sherri ~ daintytime said...

That looks delish! Will have to try this next time I get a handful of heirloom tomatoes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...