Friday, January 21, 2011

Feedsacks

FeedsacksWhen Terri commented on my previous post about my choice of "repros" to make Nancie's Road Trip quilt, I realized I wasn't clear. When I said feed sacks, I was talking about real, vintage, from the 1930's and 40's feed sacks.

Here's my meager collection, after I finished pressing them last night.  I didn't realize until I pulled them our of my stash that half of them have paisley designs (and some of the leaves on the other half have paisley-like qualities.)

It's interesting to compare these textiles to modern quilting cottons.  The fabric is narrower--from selvage to selvage it's 36 inches--and more loosely woven.

I don't know how many of the 7 sacks will end up in my quilt--there are one or two that definitely have a "not like the others" quality . . . though I'm not sure if that's a reason to take them out or keep them in.   Plus, I keep thinking that the one with the big bold red scrolls and blue flowers could become the most adorable apron . . .

3 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Our fabrics are so much nicer quality wise now but to think what they were working with back in the 30's and 40's it is amazing what they were able to produce. I love the antique quilts made with the real feedsacks. The colors have all stayed so vibrant.

Pat from Florida said...

Wow! How fun to have some real, vintage, feed-sacks. They'll be lovely whatever you decide!

Goblinf said...

I've not come to see your blog for a while - it's been really exciting to see how much you're doing these days and how life has settled down for you! Really looking forward to seeing what you're up to in future months.
Lois

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...