Although I probably wouldn't have paired the red, green and/or white fabrics with the white on black star print, since I had these squares, I decided to follow this path and see where it led.
Before I show you what I did, I wanted to share the pillow in it's current state ... yes, Grace has claimed it as her own.
I trimmed those half-square triangle units to 1 1/2-inch squares and added some 1 1/2-inch squares and 1 1/2 by 2 1/2-inch rectangles to form a 3-inch by 4-inch (finished size) shoo fly block.
Happy with these proportions, I made some more, using up the left-over triangle squares and cutting up fabrics for two more blocks, for a nice round number of nine blocks.
I added skinny 1/2-inch sashing and a couple of borders and now have a pieced quilt top of doll-sized-proportions of 18 by 24-inches, ready to be quilted and hung. I'm calling it Starry Skies and Shoo Flies. I still think that if I'd purposely chosen fabrics for this quilt, I wouldn't have used the star print for the background–it doesn't feel like me, but it's OK and it was fun to play in the studio and just go with the flow and not think a lot about it.
Although this project is off the design wall and onto the studio floor (for photography purposes, after it proved too windy to take a photo outside), I'm linking up with Judy's Design Wall Monday.