Thursday, April 24, 2014

Retreat!

I think quilt retreats are universal in many ways.

Quilters gather in a large room, with cutting tables and ironing stations.   Sometimes you're one of the lucky few with a spot near the window and enjoy the natural light; sometimes you end up in a dark corner, glad you remembered to bring some lighting of your own. 

The food is always good.  You may not have as many vegan and gluten-free options as I enjoyed today, but it's always tasty. 

Lunch Buffet Kale chips

The kale chips were a nice change from the usual chocolate and sweet/salty snacks.

Finishes are shared and celebrated. 

Cindy's Vegetable Shadow Box Quilt Top

If you're organized and focused, you can get a lot done. My day today started like this.

An Organized Start

Looked like this for much of the day.

Seriously Chain Piecing

And started to look like this around dinner time.

Finished Feather

At the end of the day, I had 19 feathers completed ... and 33 more in progress. I couldn't resist bringing the finished ones home so I could put (some of) them on my wall.

Home on my design wall

(It was after dark when I got home so the light/color in this photo isn't great.)

Really, the biggest difference between the retreats I've attended, in California, Michigan, Texas and New Mexico is the architecture. 

Retreat Location In the Courtyard

The Grounds Immaculate Heart of Mary Chapel

12 comments:

joe tulips said...

wow! you are over half done! How many gals were there? The feathers look so neat.

Needled Mom said...

I love the feathers!!!

Brenda said...

makes me want to go on one.....

Gail LV said...

Yeah - you are making a feathers quilt! I think it has been your destiny for a while . . .
This looks like it might be the fabric you "made" recently. The colors are wonderful. I hope you are going to keep it.

Terri said...

Your feathers are looking great! love that some are horizontal and some vertical.
Hugs

Cathy said...

I've been wanting to make those feathers for a long time. I LOVE your color choices. I've never been on a quilt retreat. They always look like fun but I think I'm much too shy. I've never tried kale chips either. Are they good?

Anonymous said...

How fun! Going back again tomorrow? I've never been retreating in a room with ANY windows! =) Love the location, though, and you accomplished a LOT!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh these feathers are out of this world! I love them.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Love retreats and those feathers. If you hate them, you can send them my way!!!!!!

Moira said...

Love the feather blocks! I might have to use that idea for some of the string scraps that I've got. =)

Pat/SWquilter said...

Your feathers are gorgeous! Makes me want to make feathers.

Farm Quilter said...

Adoring your feathers!!! They are going to make a very cool quilt!!! Retreats can really be a blast!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...