I needed eight 5-inch I-spy squares with a similar colors for background for each block.
- I didn't have but a few orange ones.
- I only had enough of purple ones after cutting a few more squares from my stash.
- I probably could have made a few more blue blocks, and
- I had a lot of greens, but not a lot that were similar enough for this project.
- I had more I-spy squares with white backgrounds than any others, but, since I was planning to add a white fabric and needed contrast with all the squares, those will be used in another quilt design that's been percolating in my head for a while.
For the star points, I added 2 3/4 inch white squares, using the method often used in snowball blocks. After I trimmed away the (smaller) triangles from the corners, I used them as leader-enders while I sewed the blocks.
It didn't take long until I had nine 13 1/2 inch square blocks.
And then the fun could begin. I arranged and re-arranged the blocks on the wall until I was happy.
I didn't think about how many possible combinations there might be, when I saw this one on the wall, I decided it was good and sewed it together.
Here's the completed top along with the pinwheel blocks I made from the bonus triangles.
I don't know if this would have happened so quickly for me without a design wall.
The pinwheel blocks at 3 inches (finished size). The eagle eyes will notice that almost half of them are spinning in one directions and the rest are going the other way ... I haven't decided if I will fix them before I sew them into a doll quilt–taking half of them apart may be one of my Sunday night TV-watching handwork, along with some more of the stitched words that have appealed so much.
I don't know if I would have noticed my dyslexic group of pinwheels if I hadn't put them up on the design wall ... I only wish I had done so when I was making them, so I could have see this oopsy sooner.
I'm joining Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday and Judy's Design Wall Monday.