Thursday, June 19, 2014

A Proof of Concept ... and a Plan for FNSI

Blocks made from Half-Square TrianglesThese are the twenty 12-inch Half-Square-Triangle blocks from a block swap a long while ago.

Below them are the twelve 18-inch frames I created, after I disassembled and re-combined and assembled them for my idea for a summer project.

I'll blog more about my plan for the 12 weeks of summer this weekend, but here's a sneak peek at my first completed block–my proof of concept for the this idea.

12 frames made from HST Sampler Blocks
Proof of Concept-My First Sunflower

The center is a hand-pieced block made from a pattern drawn by me. The design is most identified as a New York Beauty ... but I've been thinking of it as my summer of Sunflower blocks. 

I am happy with the combination of HST background and round and spiky centers ... my summer of sunflowers is a go.

My plans for the Friday Night Sew-in tomorrow are also HSTerical. I'll be cutting and sewing the 672 yellow triangles I need–or as many as I can cut from my scraps–to make scrappy yellow broken dishes blocks to add to those made so far, as part of the Rainbow Scraps Challenge.

Some of those triangles will come from the scraps of pretty yellow and gold hand-dyed fabrics from Vicki Welsh that I won in the drawing last month in the HSTeria QAL.  Thanks, Vicki!

12 new green blocks added

7 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

You come up with the most creative ideas, Sophie. I'm impressed and I really love your NYB like block. Gorgeous.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh wow! You have made some incredible pieces! I am impressed

Gina said...

I love the idea of using the hst blocks as frames. Great sunflower centre. Bright and cheerful xx

Nann said...

Clever, clever!

shirley said...

those sunflower blocks are going to be gorgeous. and your HSTeria top is coming along very nicely...love it.

Cathy said...

Awesome idea!

Anonymous said...

Both projects looking good! I do like those frames a lot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...