Monday, October 31, 2005

Artist's Way: Monsters

How appropriate to be writing about monsters on Halloween . . .

I sometimes don’t recognize someone as a monster, as Julia Cameron describes them in TAW, until I'm thinking about the origins of a negative or limiting belief that pops into my awareness. This summer I came face to face with a fear about myself that I’ve carried around for most my adult life and realized that it originated with my ex-husband, someone whom I have identified in the past as a hero for all his support and confidence in me. Despite all the good he did for me, a single, negative parting shot managed to work its way into my subconscious and limit my life choices for more than 20 years. I think this summer’s aha! moment is the biggest reason I jumped at the opportunity to join the Artist’s Way Quilters group. I need to do this work again.

The keenest sorrow is to recognize ourselves as the sole cause of all our adversities. - Sophocles

I’m not sure I totally agree with Sophocles, quoted today on google, but I do know that a seemingly innocent comment—from a loved one, guild member or, even, posted on an online forum--can insidiously work its magic, slow me down or completely block me from making certain choices and I do believe that the one thing over which I always have control is my attitude toward those subtle monsters and their ideas.

But first, of course, I have to recognize them.

5 comments:

Gemia said...

Attitude can be everything, of course, but you are so right - first you have to recognize that the monsters are there in the first instance.

Debra Spincic said...

Yes, just when you think they are gone, they rear their ugly heads to remind you of yourself. Happens to me too.

sophie said...

I think that Cameron uses the imagery of a path, spiraling up and around a mountain. I do think that having previously identified the big bad monsters in my life, I'm now taking another pass at this lesson from a higher elevation and developing an awareness of the more subtle, insideous variety.

Rian said...

Slay those dragons, girl! You are master of your domaine.

sophie said...

Rian, In some ways, I feel like I have slain the DRAGONS long ago, so this time around, I'm trying to be more sensitive to the more subtle negative messages around me. I hope I didn't seem to be making DRAGONS out of dust bunnies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...