Monday, July 04, 2011

Log Cabin Squares

8 Itty Bitty Wonky Log Cabin BlocksFor the "Squares" round of the Liberated Round Robin, I immediately though of log cabin blocks. Here are my first 8 itty bitty (3 inch finished size) wonky log cabins.

While the logs in these log cabin are liberated, I confess that the technique for making them is not. When I decided that 3 inch (more of less) blocks would work for me, I remembered a stamp that a friend designed to stamp fabric with foundations for a wonky log cabin block. I was with her when she ordered one and so I asked if I could use her design for a stamp of my own ... and then never used it until today.


The ink is designed for textiles and is permanent.  It worked pretty well for a morning of foundation piecing . . . without any  foundation paper to be removed later.

Here's how the blocks look with my round robin piece on the design wall. They're not the entire story for my squares round, but they are a start ... I'm hoping to catch up before the next guidelines are published.

LibRR on the Design Wall

Check out more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times blog.

6 comments:

Barb in Mi said...

Love the stamp approach for your log cabin blocks! Never seen a stamp like this. Good luck with your lib RR!

Nina Marie said...

Ohhh I like where this quilt is going! You know you can draft up those log cabin blocks the same way yourself if you ever need to change the size or design - very easy!

Debra Dixon said...

Those are seriously tiny pieces.

AnnieO said...

Gosh, that's a sensible way to approach such tiny blocks! Love your free pieced letters too

Barbara C said...

These blocks are really dynamic, and the monochromatic approach really looks nice. I also love your redwork in the previous post. I've got some redwork embroidery that's been waiting to be made into a quilt for a long time. Your little quilt is making me want to take them out and see what kinds of blocks they want to be.

I hope to see you soon!

Rian said...

I really really like these a lot. Never saw a stamp like this before. Kinda clever. Kinda small, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...