Monday, August 25, 2014

Modern Quilting Design Inspiration

Lately, I've had my eyes open for examples of great quilting design that feels fresh and Modern.  At the local guild meeting this morning, I picked up a book from the table of old library books for sale and bought it, mostly because of the quilting on this quilt.

Carol Armstrong's Crane Quilt

This is Carol Armstrong's Crane quilt.

The quilt appears in her book Wildflowers: Designs for Appliqué & Quilting, published in 1998.  It is still available on Amazon in paperback or electronic (Kindle) format–clicking the link or the book image will take you there. 

Carol's work is hand-appliquéd and hand-quilted.  I doubt that she thinks of herself as part of the Modern Quilting movement or that many Modern Quilters are familiar with her work, but I think there is much inspiration to be found there.

I came home from the guild meeting and pulled out some of Carol's other books from my bookshelf–including Wild Birds: Designs for Applique and Quilting, which has the pattern for that crane–and really enjoyed re-reading them with new eyes.


5 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh gee! That is truly beautiful. I do admire her work. And will have to look for it. Thanks for highlighting this one!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I've never seen anything like that. Thanks for sharing.

Judy S. said...

Love that crane! It's so realistic! Are you going to make it?

Anonymous said...

That's a familiar photo. Thanks for the reminder. Just goes to show - there's really nothing new under the sun. It's all in how we view what we see.

Angie in SoCal said...

The quilting is fabulous on that crane. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...