Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Life Happens

Put a cup of coffee in that guy's hand and bundle him up in a winter coat and you have a visual of me, early Tuesday morning.

I got to work early, parked in the garage and decided to go pick up a breakfast burrito and a latté.  The coffee shop is across the street and around the corner from the office.  On my way back, even though there wasn't much traffic, I waited for the pedestrian signal to turn to WALK.  It didn't matter ... a young woman came zipping around the corner so fast that I didn't see her until just before her fender crashed into me. 

A man driving on the other side of the street stopped and helped me get up off the pavement–I was hurting so much, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to move.  I watched the driver who hit me start to leave the scene, then after the witness stopped to help me, decided to stop ... and plead with me not to call the police.  She said she was illegally in the country ... though later, I realized that probably isn't true, since she works for a large Santa Fe business. There's no doubt that she turned her big puppy dog eyes on the Santa Fe policeman who made the report and gave her a ticket for nothing more than something like, "distracted driving." 

As fate would happen, she works in the same office building as I do–for the company that manages the building.  I was too dazed and in pain to recognize her at first, but I see her every day. At work she is ALWAYS talking on her cell-phone. I really do mean ALWAYS.  When she is working (she cleans the public areas), she is ALWAYS loudly talking and laughing on her phone.  When she is supposed to be working, she is often sitting on the bench in the elevator lobby, still ALWAYS talking and laughing to someone on her cell phone–loud enough that you can hear her on the other side of the wall, behind closed doors. 

As the story of my accident spread through the office, I found she has had several near misses with others (in their cars) ... and she was ALWAYS ON HER CELLPHONE.  Even if I didn't see her face before she sent me flying, I have no doubt that it wasn't the sun in her eyes as she claimed, but that SHE WAS ON HER CELLPHONE when she didn't stop and turned on red and hit me.

I was not-exactly treated by EMTs on the scene--they said something submissive, like "if you have broken ribs, there's nothing that you can do about them, " stuck a piece of gauze on my now skinless knee (without even cleaning it!) and sent me on my way.  I wanted to believe they were right and I was only feeling muscle soreness, but my ribs are so tender now that I can feel every breath and I live in fear of a cough or a sneeze.  

Getting into and out of bed, a chair or the car is an excruciating experience ... I walk at a snail's pace, because it is as fast as I can go now. Everything from the neck down hurts ... and the cell-phone twit continues to happily laugh and talk on her cell phone, completely unaffected by the havoc she's caused in my life. 

Today I looked at the blocks on my design wall and realized that I cannot raise my arm high enough to take down the blocks in the top two rows, even if I thought I could sit down and sew them together.  On Monday, I brought home a quilt that has been long-arm quilted, but I haven't done anything with it, because I can't even pick it up and carry it into the studio.   I made some sample blocks for the December Block Lotto last weekend–the sneak peek should go out on Sunday–but I don't know if I can sit at the desk long enough to put together the block directions.   I had plans to go big with holiday decorations this year, but it seems unlikely that I will be able to make that happen. 

I am glad to be alive, but so frustrated by all the pain and all the limitations ... and the knowledge that the older I am the longer it takes to recover from any injury.

37 comments:

Gretchen said...

I am so sorry to hear this and more than a little concerned about the quality of the EMTs who didn't treat you!
Get well soon.

Maree said...

Oh that is terrible Sophie. I hope you are soon feeling a bit better. In our country it is illegal to use a cellphone while driving but you still see heaps of people doing it.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Sophie, I am so sorry! I really hope you have been to the doctor or ER to be checked out!

Her car insurance should pay for any medical attention you need! If she doesn't give you the information I'd go straight to her boss. I know as we age recovery takes longer but I think being checked would be a good idea to make sure you are not dealing with anything more serious than sore muscles :(

Sending lots of healing vibes your way!

Angie in SoCal said...

Oh, Sophie. I am so sorry to hear this. We are sisters in pain as I fell on Friday and have some bruised ribs from it and it is just as you say: "Getting into and out of bed, a chair or the car is an excruciating experience ..." Speedy recovery! And we all understand if BL will be late.

Angie in SoCal said...

Oh, Sophie. I am so sorry to hear this. We are sisters in pain as I fell on Friday and have some bruised ribs from it and it is just as you say: "Getting into and out of bed, a chair or the car is an excruciating experience ..." Speedy recovery! And we all understand if BL will be late.

Paulette said...

I am so sorry to hear about that. I hope you feel better soon, though I know ribs take a while to heal if they're bruised or, heaven forbid, broken. Just take care and see your doctor if you need to. Hope you heal fast!

Sewing Up A Storm said...

How horrible!!!!! Just can't imagine how you must be feeling right now. I so hope that you recover quickly and can get back to your regular life. Sending thoughts and prayers for you.

Bridget said...

That stinks, and that she was not or just minimally cited, is awful! Yes, her car insurance should cover your injuries, I would think, and don't I wish I could be there to take her cell phone and tell her when she grows up, she may have it back. That was the retired high school teacher busting out. In the meantime, ibuprofen to reduce inflammation.

Michelle L. Momof11 said...

Do get with her insurance company and get a checkup by a doctor. Ribs do hurt...mine were the worst after effect of my recent surgery, as they retracted the ribs to get access to the kidney. Coughs and sneezes where the worst. Holding onto them helped. And a doctor might suggest an elastic support if that is the case. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Karen Ackva said...

I am so sorry to hear about your accident and dilema with the cell phone twit! Life is so unfair sometimes. It doesn't matter if you are a good person; it just matters how you can talk your way out of a bad situation. The twit definitely needs a wake up call. I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Debbie said...

So sorry this happened to you, Sophie! I hope your hurt and soreness goes away very soon.

I don't think she deserves any leniency. She's a criminal. You were lucky, but I do think you have a responsibility now to make sure that she does not have the opportunity to kill someone one day.

Keep us posted!

Jo said...

Oh you poor thing. Hope you are on the mend soon. These people should be stopped. She obviously doesn't care. The next time she might not be so lucky.

Frog Quilter said...

So sorry to hear of your event. Please go get checked out by a doctor. You'll be glad you did. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Cotton robin is right around the corner.

Wilma Lee said...

So sorry that happened to you. I think I would find her car at a time when I had a hammer in my hand and accidentally trip and..Oh I'm so sorry, the hammer just flew out of my hand and smashed your windshield. Not really, but I sure would think about it.

joe tulips said...

Thank goodness your fingers are still able to type! I would want to knock the phone out of her hand and step on it. Hard! Accidentally of course.

Julierose said...

Oh Sophie--I am so sorry to hear about your being hit like that. I cannot believe that all she got was a ticket for driving distracted!! Hopefully you go and get checked out. Ribs really hurt....feel better soon, hugs, Julierose

suemac said...

I had bruised ribs from a fall last spring. It really is painful.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Better safe than sorry - go see your doctor and get properly checked out. And call your insurance company/sales agent for advice on what, if anything, you need to file. Soon - before many more days pass. And if you can get a copy of the police report, I would.. Pain and discomfort are bad but causing them for others is even worse. Is there someone near you who can help with the paperwork while you advise?

Brenda said...

So sorry for you. I've been in car accidents where the other driver was using a cell phone -- it is hard to be pleasant about the situation when you're in pain and the other person is unscathed. Take pix of your injuries now and seek medical attention. You may have a long recovery and its worth getting all the care and pain meds you need. Let us know how it works out.

Needled Mom said...

That is horrible! I would definitely get it checked out by your own doctor. I broke a few ribs last spring and it took about 6 weeks to feel better. The pain of simply taking a deep breath is horrid. This is such a bad time of the year for it to happen to you. I hope you feel better soon.

Farm Quilter said...

I'm so sorry this "accident" happened to you! Hmmm, her cell phone records would show if she was on the phone at the time of the accident...most states outlaw talking on the phone when you are driving! Prayers for a speedy and full recovery!!!

maryl said...

Wow! I agree with all the suggestions above. Go to your doctor for real treatment, report the EMTs, contact her insurance, see if the police will pursue further. I'm sure you don't feel like doing any of this, but you may be saving someone else's life...or even your own if you ever go for a breakfast burrito again. Perhaps your office partners will help you since I imagine your business will also be impacted by your absence or limitations as you heal--quickly I pray. Best wishes.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you were hurt and glad it wasn't worse. It's time to get your anger out and confront her. Show her just how hurt you are, how difficult life is now and then tell her employer about the accident and how she is constantly on the phone while working. She needs to know there are consequences to her actions. A friend's one yr. old son was killed by someone driving while talking on the phone. So I take "distracted driving" very seriously. Going to her employer is a reasonable action. They should know she is irresponsible. Me, I'd toss her phone in the toilet & slash her tires.

Unknown said...

ps. Go get some Xrays but first get her insurance information.

Terri said...

Get thee to a Dr. You need to press charges or at least get her ins. to pay for your medical. You should get taped up for those ribs. (We love you, Girl, and want you to be good again.)
Hugs

barbara woods said...

Go see your DR. right now, they could be something broke and if their is i would sue the people that acted like DR,s

RoseMary Baty-Willcox said...

I'm sorry this happened to you.
Please go to the Dr. if you have not done so already.
Then make a police report with everyones name that was part of this, mainly the girl driving the car, that hit you. So, this does not not come back to haunt you later.

Linda Big D said...

Ditto everything above. Doctor., Insurance company, her employer. Did she give you contact info,insurance info? I assume she had insurance; in Texas if she didn't that itself would be an offense. Make a claim. In a car v. pedestrian accident, the car driver is always at fault.
You should get x rays, probably physical therapy, and some pain medicine! Her insurance might cover pain and suffering, so keep a daily diary of your symptoms and limitations.

Marie Joerger said...

Sorry Sophie! Never understand why bad things happen to good people! I'm with everyone above: Get her insurance and get yourself to the doctor! She needs to take responsibility for her actions and you need to take care of yourself!! Hugs from New Hampshire hoping that you are feeling better soon!

Mystic Quilter said...

Only just catching up with blogs and couldn't believe what had happened to you - I am so very sorry.
I do hope you will go and see a doctor you may well have cracked ribs and although although they only seem to strap them is they deem it necessary you should get a diagnosis.
How she managed to get out of her responsibility for this I do not know.
Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the action of the EMTs! That's crazy. Just for insurance, if nothing else, you should have been x-rayed and treated at the hospital. If the girl keeps getting off all the time, she's going to wind up killing someone. I'm glad it wasn't you.

Pat/SWquilter said...

Sophie - so sorry to hear about this. I hope you're feeling better soon - and hope the police officer at least got her insurance information for you. I'd definitely file a claim with them.

LJ said...

How awful. I understand how upsetting it is to know that age does make a difference in how we recuperate. Have you gone to your own doctor? If you have not had x-rays taken, they may find you have other problems - as in hairline fractures. Absolutely, this "twit" should be paying for all medical costs associated with your care. Perhaps that's what she needs to realize that she needs to be responsible - particularly with cell phone use.

Cathy said...

Oh my! Isn't that a sad state of affairs. You seem to have had some bouts of bad lucky recently. I feel your pain and anger. Last year a person on cell phone ran red light and hit me broadside on driver's side.

Get yourself to a doctor if your pain persists. That woman should be facing charges of some type. I'm angry just thinking about her and about cell phones.

Take care. I hate it when bad things happen to good people.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I haven't been reading blogs as much as I need to I see - I am just now seeing this - I hope your pain has gotten less - the girl should have been charged with something especially as she almost left the scene. Yes I think as we get a little older we take more time to recover, I was in a car accident 4 years ago and it took me several months before I could move without pain and I was only in the ER for several hours and sent home with a cracked sternum and told they heal on their own and given pain meds.

Christine Thresh said...

Oh, Sophie. I am so sorry. I hope you took the advice in the comments by your friends. You do need to be checked out. Do you have her insurance company? Her company should pay for your medical checkup.
And, someone suggested that her cellphone records can be obtained (somehow) and she could be cited.
I do hope you are moving around a bit more comfortably today. Keep us posted. We care.

Celine said...

Just catching up with blog trading, this is absolutely awful Sophie. I hope the pain goes quickly and the twit realise how dangerous she is until it goes too far. This is just so frustrating and horrible for you to be hearing her everyday. Take care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...