Monday, November 24, 2014

When you can't quilt ... PLAN

Over the weekend, I was shocked to find that simply pushing a rotary cutter was painful and the up and down of working on blocks on a design wall and sewing and pressing seams wore me out.  I'm frustrated that a couple of projects I hoped to plan this month ... may not happen.

In the meantime, I'm PLANNING for the future.

Just about the last thing I did before getting hit by the cell phone menace early Tuesday morning was attend the guild meeting.  Myrna (on the left) shared a variation of the slice quilt that she will be organizing in 2015. Each person in a group of six, buys a poster, slices it into 6 pieces (in any way she wants) and hands them out to the other members. This is Myrna's quilt and the poster she used for her piece (held by guild president Cindy).

A Great Challenge Idea

I have ALWAYS wanted to work on a slice quilt.  I signed up immediately and hope that enough other members who need to meet in the evening or on the weekend will join me. 

Julie has announced that she'll be leading the Cotton Robin one more time and I can't wait. This year, she is asking us to challenge ourselves with a color theme that's new to us and ... I have an idea.  Click over to the cotton robin to check out the dates for this year (and also look at all the quilts we made last year–it was big fun and I am ready for more of the same.) 

I may start my Cotton Robin quilt with a little hand appliqué ... I'm thinking I might be able to handle that while I'm mending. 

I took paper and colored pencils to the urgent care today and sketched an idea for a modern quilter's code ... as it turned out, I waited for more than 2 hours before I was seen and spent another 2 hours mostly waiting once I made it to the back of the house, so I was glad to have something with which to entertain myself. 

For those that are following my saga, the consensus continues to be that I'm bruised but not broken, which is good news, if a little unbelievable because everything still hurts so much ... 

8 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

oOHHHHH! I want to do a slice quilt so badly I can taste it (maybe i could find a group and get a slice quilt going here)Oh I am so jealous!

Glad nothing was broken, but believe me, bruises can hurt plenty bad enough! I guess you just need to find a position that feels "not so bad" and stay in that one!

And I am in for another session of Cotton Robin! Yes! I am all in!

Maree said...

I would love to do a slice quilt sometime too. I keep looking at the Cotton Robin and have thought about joining but keep chickening out. Is there a suggested size for the first block? I hope your aches and pains soon start to abate -good news that there is nothing broken.

Needled Mom said...

I'm so glad you are not broken, but I know the bruising feels just as bad.

I have always wanted to work on a slice quilt. Have fun planning!

Jo said...

I have not seen anything done like this. I will be watching.

Hope the aches fade soon

Julierose said...

At least if you are broken they tape you up! My bruising was excruciating--I totally empathize. Try to rest a lot--your body will heal faster.... Thanks for sharing that "Slice" quilt idea--I had never heard of it before. Looks like fun...
I hope you are resting more comfortably as the days pass by. We are bracing for a huge snow event--just in time for T-Day!
no big hugs--just a nice pat on anything that isn't hurting (LOL) Julierose

floribunda said...

Sophie, that slice quilt is beautiful. One of my little groups has talked about doing one, but we were never able to agree on a photo to start with, and we couldn't figure out who would get to keep the finished quilt! (I've also seen them done as individual quilts that can be hung together to show the whole picture)

Hope you're feeling better soon! I recommend ice packs, heating pads, and a glass or two of wine...

Farm Quilter said...

Sometimes broken is easier - they seem to heal faster!!! Hope you are back to quilting soon, but I'm so glad you are still able to plan - that's so much fun too!!! Prayers for quick healing!!

Anonymous said...

I like that particular slice project. I look forward to seeing yours. I'm glad you don't have terrible broken bones, but I wish Miss Cell Phone Idiot had a bruise or two as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...