Thursday, November 27, 2014

Why me?

You'd think that being run down by the cell phone menace would be enough to bear ...

I woke up genuinely feeling thankful to be alive and even though my plans for the holiday weekend were anything but normal, I was prepared to make the best and enjoy it ...  and even try to work on a couple projects I had hoped to finish at the end of the month.

I really just wanted (and needed!) a couple days of rest at home.

I planned to cook a couple of my personal Thanksgiving favorites for a simple meal at home, including a black and blue berry crumble using this recipe

I knew that my real desert at the end of the day today is going to be this Mochacino Smoothie ... that is likely going to taste anything but good, but is a necessary preparation for a CT Scan tomorrow. 

While others are scurrying about shopping Black Friday sales or happily avoiding the rush and staying home and quilting or enjoying other pursuits, I will be likely sitting in another waiting room for what seems like forever until  ultimately getting scanned to make sure everything is OK inside.  Because, unfortunately,  it really doesn't feel like everything is OK and when I went to urgent care on Monday, they were concerned about my spleen. 

Still, I was looking forward to a restful weekend and enjoying the prospect of waking up slowly this morning–I still wake up too early–whenever the pain meds wear off which is usually 2 or 3AM, but I stayed in bed a while and slowly faced the challenge of getting out of bed.  I made coffee and was enjoying it upstairs while reading email and blogs and then ...

Beep beep beep beep ... I heard an alarm that I hoped was one of the smoke detectors downstairs telling me it needed a new battery, but kind of knew was the Carbon Monoxide alarm in the studio.

It was a familiar sound because I'd heard it about a month ago and the owner of house called the company that services the heating and plumbing who, a couple days later came out, replaced some parts and supposedly FIXED it.

I contacted the owner of the house, turned down all the thermostats and opened all the doors and windows to air things out.  Now it's freezing.

My plans for a restful 4 days, with some healthy meals and a little time spent in the studio are dashed.  The owner of the house suggests I spend the next 4 days–or as long as it takes the Keystone Cops of plumbing and heating to show up–in a hotel.  Because of my allergies and sensitivity to chemicals, hotel stays are always hard for me. My plans–small as they were–are ruined, my hopes for a restful weekend are ruined and now I have to face the painful prospect of packing and collecting the cats (that I haven't even been able to pick up because of my injuries) and their paraphernalia and getting everyone settled into a hotel.  I don't know if I can do it.

I could scream ... but that would hurt too much.  (So, I suppose, I am whining on my blog instead :-)

Whatever the long weekend NOW holds in store for me, I AM thankful to be alive and thankful that there is a CO alarm ... to survive the cell phone menace and be killed by carbon monoxide would have just been too sad.

I hope your Thanksgiving is so much better than mine. 

22 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

sorry for everything you're going through. hang in there.

Andi said...

Oh Sophie! Whine away, this is awful! Sending gentle pats on the back since a hug might hurt...

Elaine M said...

So very sorry you are having pain and medical issues. Sending a very soft hug. Get better soon. You always post the best recipes, probably will make this with a blueberry/cherry combo.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

OMG! I am so sorry you are still not well and getting better. And that you will spend your day getting scanned. But you are STILL doing the right thing.

I am hoping the insurance company knows the cell phone menace is the cause? And that they are suing her eventually. Pain and suffering, loss of work, interruption of cat time and quilting time. The latter two woulc be the most expensive.

Frederique said...

So sorry for you adventure, to scheer up you a little, I'm running a fabric giveaway: would you like to enter?

Suze said...

Oh gosh Sophie...so sorry to hear about this latest development on TOP of getting bashed by a car...hope you heal quickly. Is there someone you can call to help you load the cats? If I were closer, I would come help you...

Mystic Quilter said...

So sorry to read your post just now, I second what Suze above asks - is there anyone who come come along and help you?
I shall be thinking about you having your scan and hoping all turns out well there for you, I know it's not going to make a jot of difference to your pain issues but important to know if there is anything not picked up. Please keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that this has happened on top of everything else. I hope it can be fixed quickly and you can recover some of your time, at least.

Terri said...

So sorry, Sophie. Please feel free to rant, especially if it helps you feel better. You know bad things happen in 3s. What bad happened before the cell phone menace hit you?
I am thankful for my Blogger Buddies! I'm hoping your life improves tremendously.
Hugs

ES said...

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!! that's a big scream for you (so you don't have to hurt your ribs!!!!). All I can think to say is that you can be truly thankful that you are not an ignorant and selfish twit like that blasted cell-phone lady.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sending virtual hugs and loads of well-wishes to you ... SO sorry things have gotten even more complicated!

Whine and rant all you like - we get it.

Judy S. said...

Somebody needs to take that lady's cellphone away forever! So sorry to hear about your injuries and hope you recover very quickly. Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

Bridget said...

This just bites. I hope all is well, you and your home included, soon. I know a good plumbing and heating guy in Guadalupita if the Keystone Kops don't work out.

Julierose said...

Unbelievable Sophie! I feel so bad for you...call the fire department about the carbon monoxide thing--it's a law that it has to be fixed...you shouldn't have to wait and go to a hotel!!
gosh, this really stinks! hope all goes well tomorrow...hugs, Julierose

Gretchen said...

This is terrible! I am so sorry you are dealing with this along with your injuries. I hope you get the police report & report this person to their insurance company

Gretchen said...

Also hope you & cats don't have to decamp to a hotel. Is there someone who can help you with packing up the cats & their stuff if you have to go?

Nann said...

Oh, Sophie -- I hope everything turns out okay!

joe tulips said...

Oh how I wish I were closer!

Barbara said...

Whine away. Sometimes it's the best medicine.

Needled Mom said...

I wish I lived closer. I'd gladly help you out. I prayer it will be less of a hassle that you are imagining it to be.

LynneP said...

So very sorry you are going thru such a rough, awful, terrible time in life!!! It is the pits!!!
Hoping things turn around quickly for you...sending healing thoughts your way.

Pat/SWquilter said...

Hope you got settled into the hotel okay with the kitties and got through the scan. If I were in NM right now, I would have been happy to come up to SF and help you get the cats loaded, etc. But I'm back in IL for my dad's funeral and now trying to get things packed up so we can eventually sell the house. Hope you feel better soon - and get to go back home!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...