Here are the fabrics.
I love text on fabrics and scrappy backgrounds and knew that I would use those mini-charms in whatever I made.
After I saw the fabric, I had lots of ideas ... a few that played ping pong in my head for far too long.
I flipped through Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns and decided Rolling Star, published by The Rural New Yorker on 6/4/1932 looked to be an ancestor to Camille Roskelley's Swoon.
So I started here, and resized it to work with the mini-charms, added a seam that I thought would make construction easier and set to work.
I used a combination of shapes cute from templates and rotary cut squares and half-square triangles.
I started by putting together the center, then assembled the chunks that would surround it.
I expected the Y-seams in the star in the center ... but was a little surprised when I realized that there would be a lot more Y-seams when it came time to put all my chunks together.
But, as the saying goes, all's well that end's well ... and here's my finished pillow.
The front is simply quilted with loopy feathers, wobbly matchsticks and doodle-y daisies and loops.
The back is made from the rest of the pink fabric, along with a coordinating fabric from my stash, in a simple lapped construction.
Although it was made as a pillow cover, it may end up serving as a table mat at my house.
Thanks, Julie, for the interesting challenge.
Not only was it fun for me–once I finally decided what I wanted to make–I have really enjoyed seeing everyone's creative projects on the Intrepid Thread Challenge Link Up Party.