Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Quilts as Art



I walked past this gallery today at noon and noticed the quilts displayed in the window. I went inside for a closer look.

These quilts in the window reminded me of all those discussions--you know the ones . . . Are quilts art (and quilters artists)? Are art quilts really quilts? And what is Art with a capital-A anyway and who decides? These quilts are quite traditional in their design and construction and simply quilted or tied and they were absolutely considered to be art by their maker (and the gallery).

My own personal definitions of art and artist and quilt, for that matter, are pretty liberal. If you tell me you are an artist, I accept it.

It seemed a nice bit of synchronicity when I noticed this card, expressing it's own opinion on the subject of art--I like it and of course I had to have it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...