Monday, May 05, 2008

Sauder Village Quilt Fair

I was able to spend a couple hours at the Sauder Village Quilt Fair in Archbold, Ohio over the weekend.

Most of the 400 plus quilts were of the beautiful traditional variety . . but there were a few surprises.

I was surprised to find that the organizers had chosen to display many of the wall quilts on point, like this.

Four Quilts

I wondered what the quiltmakers thought about that. My friend Linda's quilt, Good Morning, was one of those wrapped around a wall.

Good Morning

Congrats on the ribbon, Linda.

This second place art quilt, Beginning Band, also won a special award for innovation. It was one of my favorites. The quiltmaker, Marie Moore, is a Music Teacher who began by taking close-up photos of musical instruments.

Beginning Band

Another fun quilt reminded me that quilters also have all kinds of other interests. Here's a detail photo of Joyce Ann Smith's Star Trek themed quilt.

Detail from Joyce Ann Smith's Star Trek Quilt

Beam me up, Scottie!

This One Block Wonder quilt, by Donna L. Beuhrer, reminded me . . . I have some yardage of that fabric in my stash. Maybe I ought to try this technique and create some more interesting yardage . . .

Hexagon One Block Wonder

Even though I don't usually gravitate toward the traditional, it was hard not to be awed by many of the quilts in the show. Here's a detail photo from a beautiful red and white quilt with a wonderful combination of single, double and triple feathered stars by Pauline Warren.

Detail from Feathered Stars: Single Double Triple

I'm not the only one who was impressed. I saw on the web site today that it was the viewer's choice. You can see my photo of the whole quilt here.

You can check out all my photos from the show in my Flickr set Sauder Village Quilt Fair.

1 comment:

Linda said...

It is a little wierd to see a quilt wrapped around a corner - or on point when that is not how they were made to hang. I've gotten used to it at that venue.

They get lots of quilts in their space.
There were more quilts this year than in the past, altho fewer challenge quilts.
That show has a lot of hand quilted quilts - good to see.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...