Saturday, December 11, 2010

Friday Night Sew-in at the Honey Bee

UFO Night at Honey Bee QuiltsNancie, a friend from the Liberated Quilters yahoo group told me about the Honey Bee Quilt Shop and UFO nights there. I was thrilled to find out that the shop is a 10 minute drive from where I'm working--close enough for a lunch run ... if I really need something. In fact, I made a lunch run on Friday to check for a new issue of a magazine and to check if I was going to be able to move up off the waiting list for UFO night.

What a nice bit of synchronicity that it was the same night as the Friday Night Sew-In ;-)

This time, my sew-in was the literal, in person variety.  It was great to meet quilts in my new area and see what everyone was working on.  The store had just hung all the samples for their new classes and new $5 quilt (aka Five at the Hive). I faded earlier than most and left around 11 PM.  But I did get to see at least one UFO "finish."

Nearly finished Detail of Bevo

The color in the detail photo of Bevo (the UT mascot) on the right is very washed out, but you CAN see how great he is--don't you love how one of his horns reaches out into the churn dash blocks?

I spent the time getting to know the regulars and working on this month's lotto blocks--tree pairs in jewel tones with black:

Sophie's Trees

I also took some in-progress photos of how I made my tree block pairs. You can find them, with my notes, here:  Adding Complexity to the Free-style Tree Block.

My phone (in the pink wrapper) was out because I was using it to show the ladies all the other great tree blocks that have been made so far.  If you're curious, you can see them here.

Edited to add that the Honey Bee Quilt Store has added some nice photos of Becky's Longhorn Quilt on their blog.

5 comments:

Clare said...

Oh thank goodness. I was just about to send out a search party! I suppose I should have asked Nancie if she knew where you were.

I've been seeing wonky trees popping up all over the place, but these really are great.

Don't disappear off the planet again without telling us first. We've missed you.

Christine Thresh said...

I'm glad you found a quilt shop fairly close by.
It sounds as if you had a fun evening meeting new friends.

sophie said...

I'm a lucky girl. This shop is very close to work and there's another nice shop about a mile from myapartment.

Wilma Lee said...

I'm so glad you have a place nearby to meet new people, and new fabrics.

Mama Spark said...

The Bevo quilt is amazing!! My son would love a quilt like that to go with the other UT quilt I made for him! Thank you for sharing it. It's great that you found a place so close to you and with nice folks to boot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...