Monday, June 06, 2011

The Easiest Lotto Block Ever!

Lately, I have been noticing the pleasing proportions of rectangle blocks.  The quilts are usually made from rectangles cut from a single fabric, or improvised "made" fabric and set with wide, plain sashings.

It prompted me to do some reading about the golden rectangle and think about quilts and quilt blocks with similar proportions.

Out of all that thinking came the easiest Lotto Block ever.  I'm calling it a 3-patch rectangle (the link goes to the block directions page).  Because the block is so easy, the real challenge this month is paying close attention to color.  We're making violet-blue-green blocks, avoiding the warm red-violets and yellow-greens.  It has led some of us to question, how green is our green stash or how purple (and not red-violet) are our purples?

This is what fifteen 3-patches look like–I got a little carried away this month and made 16 blocks so I could play with some setting ideas.

You can see all the blocks that everyone has made so far, on the block lotto blog, here.

These blocks would be a good choice for a quick quilt and would, I think,  also make an interesting background for appliqué.  I am planning to make a table topper from 9 blocks using tone-on-tone fabrics and practicing free motion quilting designs in each of the rectangles.

For a look at what's on other quilters' design walls/floors/tables, check out Judy Laquidera's Design Wall Monday blog post today.

2 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Timely info since I have some tropical fabrics I want to sew into large rectangles. I'll have to switch to my math head!

Marti said...

I think you're right, it would make a great background for applique. I like your color choices in it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...