Monday, June 20, 2011

When a Project wants to be something ELSE

Making Art from ArtWhen I read that the AAQI quilt-a-month club challenge for June included Winter theme, I thought about a pair of old unfinished challenges pieces in my UFO/WIP collection. Originally begun as part of another challenge, I thought the 8 x 16 inch pieces of my winter diptych could be re-worked into the 9 x 12 format.  I removed some of the sky and could have chopped off the snow at the bottom of the piece, but I didn't think I'd like the proportions and the more I thought about it . . . another idea emerged.

I started to see a great place to start for a winter-themed round robin quilt.  Maybe it's the fact that it's been 100-plus degrees hot-hot-hot here and I'm starting to wonder if a little winter in my life would be such a bad thing.

If the ladies in charge will accept me at this late date, I'll be joining the in-progress Liberated Round Robin . . . if I'm too late, I'll likely play along with this nested round robin group on my own.

To see more design walls/tables and work-in-progress, check out the links in  Judy's Design Wall Monday post.

No longer on the work table at my house, is the pillow I made for the pink portion of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge last month.  I like those pale-ish baskets so much more with their yo-yo "blooms" planted in them.


Finished Pillow 

I sewed the quilted back and front sections together with the right sides on the outside and then bound the edges.

7 comments:

AnnieO said...

Good rescue idea for a WIP--hope the ladies let you play along.

Adorable baskets. I love yo yos too.

Creating Trouble said...

Oh I really love your winter themed piece. Although with all the rain here it seems very wintery... It's really nice to see the finished ice-cream sundae quilted piece - I think it's lovely!

sophie said...

At times, this project felt more like an opportunity to use up scraps, practice some quilting techniques (FMQ and yo-yos) ... I was glad to discover that when it all came together, I liked the result and will use the pillow ;-)

Darlene said...

Hi Sophie! Just found your blog...from Lib Quilters. So glad you'll be joining us. Your starting block looks fabulous. Also -- I adore this flower-filled basket pillow! ...Darlene

Gari in AL said...

Quilts talk to me all the time and they do seem to have a mind of their own. And I love, love, love you pink basket pillow.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Love your pillow. It's charming.

Terri said...

I absolutely LOVE the pillow Sophie and Emma does too! Terri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...