I have previously participated in one of C&T Publishing's Creative Troupe challenges - to use their paper-based kraft•tex™ product in some new colors. I received a sample of the new light gray called stone. I wanted to take advantage of the leather-like stiff nature of the product and designed this cell phone wallet.
You can see all the other projects made on C&T's kraft•tex™ Pinterest Board.
TAP (Transfer Artist Paper) product in an interesting way ... the deadline is approaching and I am still creatively stuck.
I know that sometimes I am a little frozen by fear. I've blogged about my scaredy cat ways in the past and you would think that by now I would have just gotten over it.
Another example is the current round of the Cotton Robin (which I cannot share until after the round robin quilts are finished and home again). I love the idea I have for the quilt at my house, but ... I am afraid that I will not be able to accomplish it. That deadline is also coming soon ... so I will be forced to face that particular fear soon.
I am curiously drawn to the Modern Quilt Guild's fabric challenges ... probably because making a quilt from a single fabric line is not the way I usually work and it is challenging for me to do so. I can't resist trying ...
I missed the announcement about the spring challenge, but when Marie offered to send me a package of the fat eighths of the challenge fabrics, I said yes, please.
Unfortunately, when I went to my local quilt shop, they had none of the Riley Blake Cottage Garden fabrics, nor coordinating solids ... fortunately, I found a layer cake and some yardage at fabric.com. Part of the challenge is to try something new ... I am planning to include some sashiko stitching–something I've long wanted to try, but never have.
The deadline for this one isn't until July, but some quilters already have finished quilts and a lot of others are much further than gathering fabrics. You can find photos on instagram with the hashtag #mqgfabricchallenge
You'd think I have enough on plate ... but I have also signed up for the Poster mini-group at the guild (you create a piece of 6 quilts based on posters, with deadlines every 6 weeks). I am also committed for the H2H challenge and haven't made much progress on that front ... and when Bridget sent email out last month about a scrap bag challenge for the Chicken River Modern Quilters and I had a conflict for that day, I promptly turned around and suggested it to our local Modern-ish mini-group. The challenge comes from Victoria Findley Wolf's 15 minutes of Play. The basics are you fill a quart-size ziplock bag with scraps, swap them, then make a quilt using ALL the fabrics in the bag you receive.
Here are the fabrics I pulled from my scraps.
It's probably because I have packaged up and mailed fabrics, blocks and quilts so many times over the years, that I neatly pressed and stacked the fabrics in the ziplock I created.
It also helped me see the mix of fabrics that would be someone else's challenge.
The result was that my bag looked neat and flat (on the left) and most of the others looked like the one I received (on the right).
I came home Monday night with the idea of making some liberated basket blocks, probably because it's on my someday list, but woke up yesterday with a new idea. I unpacked the fabrics, considered each one, pressed them, and lined them up on the table ... asking myself if they could work in a quilt now in my head. So far, so good ... just have to meet a few other deadlines first so I can dive in.
Add to the pile a couple of personal challenges–I heard last week that the owners of the house I rent will be putting it on the market and terminating our lease early–which will mean a lot of downsizing (I'll never find a sewing space like this one) and packing and moving a lot earlier than I planned–and well, I am definitely feeling challenged by challenges–in quilting and in life–right now.
I am joining the lists for WIP Wednesday and Ester's WOW ... even though most of the projects listed here are just barely in-progresss ... the good news is that I should have lots of progress to share going forward ;-)