Monday, March 28, 2011

Look Up

Red & White quiltAt the Infinite Variety exhibit, you saw a lot of people that were looking up, just like the man that stepped into my frame just as I was taking this photo. The quilts were arranged in cylinder-like pavillions, hung back to back, 3-5 quilts high, with enough space between them, that you could also see the quilts beyond in other pavillions.

Here is a view, from the inside of one pavillion, looking up.

Red & White quilts 

Red & White quiltsYou could walk around the outside of these large cylinder shapes to see the quilts on the exterior and then go inside to see the interior quilts.

There were no labels, no quilt names, no quilters' names (except as they appeared as part of the design), no artist statements. Only the quilts.

It was interesting to notice the taste of the collector.  For example, although these quilts spanned three centuries, there were very few political or patriotic quilts--my non-quilting friend kept looking for a "flag quilt."  

I will be blogging about some of my favorites in the next few days.  You can see my photos in the flickr photoset Infinite Variety.

If you have an iPad, grab the (free) Infinite Variety app.  It has individual photos of all the quilts. There is also an app for the iPhone which hasn't yet been released to the app store.

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

I think we all needed neck massages after the show because of all the craning our necks to look up. Wasn't it great? Kathie L in Allentown

Pat from Florida said...

Wozer!!! You are so fortunate to have gone in person, and so wonderful to share it with all of us!

Rainbows in Wool said...

Seriously, did you need a chiro adjustment? what fun.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these photos; the exhibit looks amazing! I kinda like the shot with last-minute guy in it; it really gives a feel for the exhibit.

Pokey said...

So THIS was your weekend getaway? Oh lucky YOU! The photos have been so incredible, I think I would love this show. RED is my favorite....
:-}pokey

Sue Wild said...

What a wonderful display. I look forward to more posts about this exhibition.

I hope that you don't mind, but I shared this link with another Yahoo quilting group that I belong to, I thought others should enjoy.

Melissa said...

Your pictures are amazing! Thanks for sharing

I've been looking for the app and haven't been able to find it. Do you have to get it at the show?

sophie said...

Melissa, your account is set for no email, so I couldn't reply to you directly, but I just checked and both the iPad and iPhone versions of the app are now available from iTunes. Anyone can download, install and enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...