Monday, December 03, 2007

So Many Art Quilts, So Many Categories

These were some of my favorite quilts at the International Quilt Festival in Houston, but I admit, I found these categories confusing because there seemed to be so much room for overlap:

Art-Abstract (Large and Small)
Art-Naturescapes
Art-People: Portraits and Figures
Art-Pictorial
Art-Whimsical

. . . In spite of my confustion, all these quilts were beautiful. The links will take you to my photos of quilts in each category. Here are some of my favorites. Take a look and then guess in which category they were judged–the category information is in the photo description on Flickr.

Whispering Pines, made by Freida Anderson of Elgin, Illinois was a Judge's Choice winner.

Whispering Pines

Made in the Shade was made by Patrice Creswell, Austin, Texas.

Made in the Shade

A Bright Summer's Day, made by Ulla Andreasson of Maerne di Martellago Ve, Italy

A Bright Summer Day


Pat Reaches Quilter's Nirvana was made by Linda Cantell of Fletcher, North Carolina. Check out the detail photos of this quilt here, here and here.

Pat Reaches Quilters Nirvana

Joe: Solitude was made by Elizabeth Schamber of Heathsville, Virginia. This quilt won third place in Art-People and was a crowd favorite–with lots of quilters strainging against the "ropes" to get an up close look. (I have a detail photo of Joe's face here.)

Joe: Solitude

Be sure to notice how leaf print fabric was used to construct the bird's wing feathers in Blackbird Garden II, made by Jean Shute of Otis Orchards, Washington. Detail of the Blackbird is here.

Blackbird Garden II

9 comments:

Unknown said...

How nice to see the beautiful works of art! I used to quilt until my eyes started to go. I'm very impressed that someone from Heathsville, Virginia is represented in this group so prominently. This is a tiny little community and I'm half surprised I've not heard of her. I may have to send in this link to the local paper!

sophie said...

Some health issues have made me much more of a quilt appreciater than an actual quilter . . . I enjoyed all the eye candy in Houston so much that I had to share (and share and share).

Jen said...

Thank you, thank you for such wonderful photos. These beautiful quilts are a joy. Jen

floribunda said...

what a beautiful selection of quilts! I especially love the crow...

Christine Thresh said...

Again, I want to thank you for your continuing quilt show. This is marvelous. I especially liked being able to click on the close-up links.
I think I'd better start saving for Houston. The quilts are so inspiring.

Jean S said...

As much as I would love to claim the second place prize, the lovely quilt next to mine was the true winner. I'm glad you liked the crow - they're a favorite subject in my quilts.

sophie said...

Your comment reminded me that I had some confusion at the show about which quilt belonged to that ribbon, too. Obviously, I loved your quilt very much. I've corrected my descriptions.

antique quilter said...

thank you for sharing these pictures, just amazing quilts.
I am looking forward to looking at the pictures in your flicker album
thanks again
Kathie

Jean S said...

Thanks Sophie, it was a nice surprise to find my quilt on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...