Monday, October 01, 2012

Blogging the Block Lotto

A friend asked a while ago if the Block Lotto was taking a summer break ... and I realized that I hadn't blogged much about it here and she came to the logical conclusion.

This month, we're making this diagonally sliced variation of my go-to block, the Sawtooth Star (AKA Square & Points)


(Still no design wall in my new place, so these blocks are on the design floor–but, I'm linking to Judy's Design Wall Monday anyway ;-)

Our lotto blocks are 9-inches (finished size) and made in white solids + 2 more solid colors. Not exactly a Fall color way, but I think it's going to be interesting. You can download my print-friendly block pattern here:

Split Star Block Pattern

The pattern includes the cutting measurements for making the block in five sizes (6, 8, 9, 10 and 12 inches) and a coloring sheet for playing with your own ideas about color and layout.

With the arrival of Fall, I start thinking ahead about theme and blocks for the Block Lotto for NEXT year ... and this year is no different.  If interest in the Lotto continues, I'll be ready.

I never know how my ideas, whether they are about colors and fabrics or the block itself, will be received.  Based on the numbers alone, last month's 3-D Flower block would probably have to be considered a flop.

Sophie's Flower #2  Sophie's Flower #1  Sophie's Flower block #3

These are my three blocks.  Even if they weren't popular as lotto blocks–14 quilters made a total of 44 blocks–I know they sparked some design ideas for using this technique and I know the quilter who won them is happy.  I try to vary our block choices so that we all have an opportunity to try something new and/or work out of our comfort zone a little. Earlier in the summer, we made this block, that I called Silly String: 

Sophie's 2 Silly string blocks

I think curved seams seem formidable until you try a few gentle curves ...  and making a block or two (or nine) for the block lotto is an easy introduction. 

I've also been working on some housekeeping tasks for the Block Lotto site.  I finally created the 2012 Block Index which shows the blocks we've made so far this year with links to block photos and block pattern directions or guidelines.   

And I've been updating some of the old block directions to make them less block lotto-specific and more print-friendly for those who have been looking for them, starting with the Violet Block in 6 Sizes for which I've received hundreds of requests since it was shared on a Facebook page a few months ago. 

The last task for the Block Lotto is to update the template ... even though I have made a living as a techie for nearly my entire career, I hate spending my OWN time on that sort of the tedious administrative stuff at home.  I have procrastinated it all summer long ... Fall's here and it's time to get it done. 


4 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a great star block - I bet there are many ways to set that one!

sophie said...

I agree. I hope I see a lot of interesting and different quilts from this one.

Barb in Mi said...

Love the star blocks! So much to do, so little time - or I would be joining block lotto...

sophie said...

Barb, one of the features of the Block Lotto is that you don't have to commit, you can join in when you have time and sit on the sidelines and enjoy the eye candy when you're too busy with your own projects or life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...