Friday, October 12, 2012

I Baked!

It sounds a little crazy, but I haven't baked since moving at the end of April to New Mexico and 7,000 feet. I wasn't sure I could make the right adjustments for altitude and I'm not much of a baker even at sea level. This summer, the little adobe casita often felt like a little adobe oven itself–doing anything that would heat things up was out of the question.  

But I felt like something warm from the oven one morning earlier this week and made biscuits.

Biscuit! 

I know, it's only biscuits, but I am pleased that my guess at the changes needed (more liquid, less time) worked.  Yay!  With a little of Heidi's Raspberry and Red Chili jam, it was a tasty breakfast ... and I've opened the (oven) door to more baking.   Next up ...  Pesto Pizza!

5 comments:

Rian said...

Girl, you are really getting into this fall thing! Good on ya! I have never made biscuits--I see them do it on TV and it seems difficult to me. I guess altitude cooking is a world unto itself--the only thing I know is water boils quicker...now I wonder how that can happen. Happy nesting.

Debra Dixon said...

Yummy!

Linda in Calif. said...

Oh good for you. Now you can feel free to bake more food. Looks good too. I just got back from NM I had some yummy Soaptia's and honey. (I don't know how to spell it) So yummy! I thought about you and your post.

Wilma Lee said...

I've been baking a lot too. Your biscuits look yummy!!

black bear cabin said...

so glad you didnt have any trouble with the altitude ruining your baking! for me, the hardest thing to cook up right at this altitude is rice! of course, if you have a rice cooker, then no problem, but since i dont, i stick with couscous instead :)
most recipes include a high altitude adjustment recipe which is nice...but im glad you've been inspired to start baking again...the fall usually does that to me too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...