Tuesday, July 01, 2014

As June Flew By ...

June seemed to go by in a blur ... but I did manage to start (and sometimes finish) a few projects.

Here's my re-cap for Barbara's NewFO challenge.

This pair of pincushions, made from some miniaturized 5 1/4-inch versions of the Star Chain blocks we made for the Block Lotto in March were made using these directions as a guide.

The pincushions flew away earlier this month, as thank you gifts for a couple of the quilters that stepped up to help me make replacements for missing March lotto blocks.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Backs of two quiltsIn June, I was finisher for two of the quilts from Julie's Cotton Robin. The deadline for mailing was yesterday. Until all the finished quilts have been received and the big reveal is published, I can only share this much.  I hope both owners love them as much as I loved quilting them.

These two little quilts have since been received and I heard yesterday that my quilt is on it's way home. I can't wait to see what happened to the funky center I sent out into the world in January.

I found a use for a stack of twenty 12-inch square neutral + cream HST sampler blocks from a long-ago block exchange. I deconstructed them them and then re-constructed them as a dozen 18-inch frames for my summer project.

Blocks made from Half-Square Triangles 12 frames made from HST Sampler Blocks

The lighting was very different in the before and after photos, but I think you can get the idea.

First two Sunflower BlocksHere's two of those frames in use, as background for the hand-pieced blocks I am making during the 12 weeks of summer.

My plan is to design and hand-piece one block each week. These are the first two.  So far, so good.

The circles are set into those deconstructed-reconstructed machine pieced background using Dale Fleming's 6-minute circle technique.

The last new project in June was this 12 by 18 inch placemat, made for one of the local guild's charity efforts, Kitchen Angels.

I used five orphan blocks, created with the last of my pink scraps in February (for the Rainbow Scraps Challenge).

It was quick to make and fun to quilt and made me want to make some quilted placemats to use at home.

In June, I made progress on a few on-going projects, but I'll save that for the RSC "half way" report in another blog post.

Placemat for Kitchen Angels

4 comments:

QuiltSwissy said...

Great finishes!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Your deconstruction and background reconstruction is brilliant! Your descriptions underestimate how hard that is to do :) I think it's amazing!

Linda in Calif. said...

I think you are having way too much fun! And I'm happy for you as these look so wonderful!

Barbara said...

Beautiful work, Sophie, the pincushions are adorable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...