Thursday, August 27, 2015

Tokyo Subway Map Quilt-Along

I was surfing blogs this morning and Celine mentioned on Espritpatch that there is a new Quilt-Along starting next month for Elizabeth Hartman's Tokyo Subway Map quilt.

Back in 2010, I followed along (and saved the directions) when Elizabeth shared the design as part of the original QAL, tucked it away and thought of it as a someday quilt.

The pattern as written is made from 1600 2-inch squares. I spent some time back then thinking about how I would change the dimensions and cheat the background, using larger squares and rectangles as much as possible.  Now that my scrap bins are filled or overflowing and with the support of other quilters who will be quilting along, maybe it's time to make a serious start on this quilt.

Click the QAL image above (and in my sidebar) or this link for details on Nina's blog, Nina with Freckles.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a link to the pattern page and an image of this great, modern, scrappy quilt, inspired by the Tokyo subway map:


Do you have one of those someday quilts that you've seen online or at a show or in a show, saved the pattern and know that you WILL make it one day in the future?

6 comments:

Hilda said...

Oh, me, me! I have the original pattern and have always wanted to make this quilt. Maybe I'll just have to follow the Quilt Along this time and get it done! And yeah, it isn't the only pattern I've saved that I wanted to or thought I would make.

Kathryn said...

I saved that pattern also, in hopes of making it for a friend I have in Tokyo. Maybe this is the incentive.

Farm Quilter said...

I best be living and quilting at 150 years old to use all my stash and make all the quilts I want to make...and that is only if no one creates another new pattern I like!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to think about the Subway quilt, as that's definitely one I've liked since I first saw it, and I certainly have scraps!

Anonymous said...

Hello :) Thanks for mentioning this and I hope everyone joins! The schedule will accomodate lots of other sewing/quilting, seeing as we are nearing the end of the year with possible season's gifts to make, and so on. I'll launch the QAL tomorrow, welcome to stop by!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I love it! It must, however, stand in line behind a lot of other things! LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...