Thursday, August 20, 2015

Returning To Quilting (and Blogging)

On Monday, I was asked to help begin the assembly of some pieced parts for what will become the Northern New Mexico Quilt Guild's 2016 raffle quilt.   I was flattered (and a little surprised because I'm not at all a perfectionist quilter).

It was the push I needed to return to quilting (and finally find the box with my favorite scissors, rulers and other go-to tools.)

2016 Raffle Quilt in Progress
The quilt pattern is a block-of-the-month pattern called Taos by Whirligig Designs (you can see the whole quilt about half-way down this page).  Here's how it looked when we were done with this step.

The organizers are changing the outer pieced border to appliqué–I volunteered to help with that, if needed, so you may get another peek in the future.

Since I was now reunited with my scissors and organized to travel, I caught up with the QOV Mini-group yesterday and made some progress on a scrappy star quilt I started last spring.

The end was in sight so I was motivated to keep going after I came home.  When the quilt top was completed, I realized that taking a photo wasn't going to be as easy as it was in my old house with it's long 1000 square foot studio.

New Photographic Challenge

On the plus side, I now have a deck, high enough to hang a big quilt–the only challenge being all the trees and vines in the back yard that could obscure a clear shot.


Block Lotto followers will recognize the stars with made-fabric centers (our April block) and the Many Triangles border (this month's block). The stars are a lot bigger (15 inch blocks) and the border is slightly larger (5 inches).   The completed top measures 60 by 75 inches.  I couldn't find my clamps, so you can't see it, but the scrappy blue triangle border goes all the way around ;-)

Updated to fix some grammar and punctuation and to join Angie's list for WIPS Be Gone



9 comments:

Linda in Calif. said...

You certainly have a wonderful place to hang quilts for photos. It's a beautiful quilt. I loved playing block lotto - so fun. And so happy for you that you found your tools.

CathyC said...

welcome back Sophie :) lovely quilt too!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your help on Monday. The quilt center really does look good. And I am amazed at what you got done on the Q of V since yesterday morning!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

That quilt is breathtaking! It will make a lot of money!

Glad you are back, I did notice and missed you. Love your neighbor kid! Did you know Huskies are masters of vocalizations? they have like 145 different sounds they can make. Sometimes they sound like they are talking!

Or maybe he is a Malamute. Sometimes I can't tell the difference........

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good to see you back!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a lovely quilt!

Cathy said...

Welcome back! And I like that triangle border on the Stars.

Sewing Up A Storm said...

So happy you found your way back to your quilting tools and are back to quilting. The group quilt looks awesome. I really like the block lotto one and it is beautifuly framed by those branches.

Angie in SoCal said...

What a great place to hang quilts, and that one is a beauty. Glad you found your quilting mojo. It's always a good day when I see your work. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...