Tuesday, July 02, 2013

The Beginnings of a New Project for July

My Flock of Five Birds

The flock of five bird blocks were made as part of my Daily Feather catch-up after a most unproductive weekend.  I am planning to add more feather-y design elements, but first I am auditioning fabrics and moving things around for the quilt's center.  Right now, I am thinking it will become a crib-sized quilt.

If you participate in or follow along with the Block Lotto (or this blog), you already know how to make the bird block and the basic house shape.  The block pattern I developed for the Bird Block is available on my Block Patterns page–it's free, if you'd like to download the directions and make a flock of your own. The house shape is being used to make I-Spy Houses for this month's Block Lotto.  I'll add those directions to that page and post my row of houses soon. 

After being overwhelmed by life and real and self-imposed deadlines last weekend, I wasn't sure I was going to join the July goal setting party for A Lovely Year of Finishes, but ... it has become a good way for me to focus and finish things ... or at least move specific projects forward in a significant way, so I'm in.  It's definitely been a case of the journey being the reward for me, too.

I'm also joining Esther's WOW (Wips on Wednesday) linky list and WIP Wednesday on Freshly Pieced. 

13 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

What an interesting project.

Kathryn said...

You just reminded me how much I loved that month's Block Lotto block. I really need to do something with it since I wasn't a winner that month. Hope you are finding a way to keep cool. kathie L in Allentown

Esther Aliu said...

How fresh this block feels, LOVE IT!

Sue said...

I love your birds.

Plum Cox said...

Stunning colours and a really fun pattern / layout! Makes me smile!

Jane in Cumbria said...

A very interesting colour-combination! I love birds, and yours look wonderful!

Barbara said...

That's going to be very cute!

Angie in SoCal said...

Coming along nicely, Sophie. I like the concept and how you've laid it out. How about a border of feathers (each done a different way) to continue your 365 day project dallyings? JAT

Bunny said...

Love your new project.
Bunny

Kate North said...

Ooh, love the birdhouses idea. I've been toying with ideas for how to set my birds - perhaps I can incorporate some bird houses into the project. (Also thinking of branches or all along a wire, or maybe a shoreline, or... - whatever I come up with, will have to wait until autumn, so at least I've got some time to think about it!)

Anonymous said...

The birds are too cute.

Happy Turtle said...

Love the birds!
Carol

jjthor said...

This will make a really cute crib blanket!! Looks good.!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...