- Continuing the gray chains of the Star Chain blocks into a pieced border,
- Adding a few of the small Ohio Star blocks
- Using black & white prints to create a dark border to contain the quilt.
I made a couple stars and liked them. I pieced a couple border sections from black and white prints with gray chains and liked them, but thought the border could use a random sprinkling of squares from the fabrics used for the stars (in colors from the balloon tea towel). Fully committed to the idea, I cut many strips from black and white fabrics, sewed some strip sets and cut them up into 3-square units ... then I decided that, even with the addition of some colored squares, it was just too dark and constraining for this light, airy quilt.
How I hate that feeling when you see how something is not working ... and how great is it when, once you edit your ideas and take it in a different direction, one that feels like you, the work seems so much easier/faster/better.
I'm not sure what I've added would correctly be called a border, but it was constructed as rectangle blocks, then long strips, like a border would be.
In addition to the stars, continuation of the chain, random colored squares, a few black and white squares were sprinkled in the borders.
This piece now measures 68 by 80-inches–much larger than I imagined my Tea Towel challenge quilt would be.
It occurred to me that by adding more traditional white, yellow and red borders, it could become bed-sized, but I'm waffling. I also think it could be "done."