Wednesday, April 24, 2013

And now for something a little different ... Plan C

My original idea was to add a scrappy fanciful appliqué tree with a pair of flying birds to the top of the scrappy geese quilt ... and I got as far as enlarging and modifying the inspiration (from a pattern by Patrick Lose) until I decided I didn't like it.

Like many who have commented, since I liked the look of this month's bird blocks for the block lotto walking across the top of the scrappy geese–you can see them on my design wall here–I considered making more for this quilt, but ultimately I decided they looked too contemporary for the old-fashioned scrap quilt feel of the geese. 

Here is Plan C: a row of my go-to blocks, Sawtooth Stars. 

Scrappy Geese with Stars


Strips for bordersI have no idea how geese and other birds navigate, and even though I know it's probably not by using the stars, when I decided to add the stars to this piece, a name for this quilt has popped in my head: Finding My Way Home.

As the original set of squares and rectangles that were cut and put aside for the border have become a quilt of their own–the checkerboard picnic quilt–I've been cutting more.

Will I have a lovely finish in time for the end of the month ... I have no idea. But, even two new quilt tops finished feels like progress.

I'm joining the WIP Wednesday lists on Freshly Pieced and Esther's blog.  Check them out to see what other quilters are up to this week.

5 comments:

Paulette said...

Navigating by the stars sounds plenty good to me! (I'm embarrassed that I've lived my entire life in an renowned migratory stopover for geese, but haven't any better clue. If I ever did know, it's long fallen out of my head and been replaced by my favorite Kona colors or something, lol.) Anyway, great quilt name you've hit upon. What I love about your geese is how they shift from dark to light. I think the stars on the north end are perfect. No other birds needed!

Terri said...

Geese do fly at night, so stars are very appropriate on your quilt. I do love your geese.
Hugs

Bunny said...

Looks great to me. Love all the colours.

Anonymous said...

It's a good solution! A lovely top, and finish.

Suze said...

The stars are cute..but I liked the picture with the row of birds better..something really whimsical about that...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...