Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday Night Sew In?

Friday Night PlanI went looking for the sign-up for the April Friday Night Sew-In.  I didn't find a sign-up for this month on Heidi's blog, but my plan to sew tonight is the same.  Anyone else sewing tonight?

Spending Friday nights at home has become my practice.  It doesn't seem to matter where you live, traffic is always bad on Friday night, going anywhere out to eat means a wait because of the crowds ... it's become so much easier for me to avoid the people and have a quiet meal and evening at home.

I'll be making more of little paper foundation pieced blocks for the border on the cotton robin piece now at my house. I hope to finish this up and mail it onward on Monday.

What I wonIn other news, my prize from Shana and Melissa–the ladies behind A Lovely Year of Finishes–arrived today.  When they emailed me and told me what I had won, I was excited.  I have only tried English Paper Piecing in a small way and thought this book of doll quilts might inspire me to begin a project–I actually thought it likely that I'd spend this (non) Friday Night Sew In beginning a new EPP project.

Unfortunately, the directions for each of the 11 projects require that you purchase the specified pre-cut paper pieces.  While I likely would have gone that route once committed to a project, I simply do NOT understand why the basic shapes and measurements weren't included.  Without including those basic shapes, this quilting book feels to me like little more than a sales brochure with a $21.95 price tag.   It makes me wonder what the authors, Chris Moline and JoAnne Louis of Paper Pieces, were thinking ...

4 comments:

Lisa in Port Hope said...

No sewing tonight, but I did cut out some fabric for a couple of projects. And put a lot of laundry away.

I found this site recently to generate your own paper piecing pieces. Hope it helps you out.

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/trianglehex.html

Patti said...

That's the way I feel about so many of the current quilt magazines. They seem nothing but glorified ads for specific fabric lines. About the only magazine I buy anymore is Quiltmania.

Anonymous said...

By the time night came, I was too tired to sew! I did some in the morning, though, and again this afternoon. About the book, I imagine they were showing what could be done with the patterns, and wanted people to buy from them, you're right. Aren't you glad it was free to you? =)

Terri said...

Sorry to hear that your book was a rip off... thanks for the warning. At that price the patterns should be included.
Hugs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...