Saturday, April 13, 2013

Project Mitosis and my Scrappy Déja Vu

Stack of scrappy squares and rectanglesRemember this stack of rectangles and strips that I had cut and packed away with the scrappy geese quilt project? While waiting for a light bulb design moment about which way to go for what goes above the geese, I cut cream strips and set to work, turning this scrappy pile into twenty six 16-patch blocks.

Looking at the scrappy squares, I realized that I had cut these as part of going through my scrap bins and cutting up fabrics that represented the good, bad and (mostly) just plain ugly fabrics not of my choosing that I had collected through activities like fabric swaps and shop hops.  I've recently thought that it's time to do some spring cleaning in those sorted-by-color scraps again ... I've been thinking of a project in which to use all the almost-too-small-to-throw-away pieces because they now represent the majority of my scraps.  Anyway, looking through the (mostly) uglies I had pulled out of my bins for this collection had me feeling a little bit of scrap clearing déja vu.

I was probably less than half-way done when I realized I wasn't going to like it as a border and remembered that my original idea was NOT to add that cream fabric at all.  Oops.

But since I was committed, I kept sewing. I am not even going to put them side by side to show you because I disliked the idea that much.  As I finished up sewing the blocks, my new idea was to use them as the center of a scrappy picnic quilt. 25 twelve inch blocks will become a 60-inch square ... after I've arranged and rearranged them a bit more.

Scrappy 16-patch blocks

So now my project for my Lovely Finish in April has split in two in a sort of project mitosis.  In terms of progress, I feel a little like I'm moving backwards ... 

I'm joining the lists for Kim's Scrap Basket Sunday and for the mid-month update for a Year of Lovely Finishes and for Judy's Design Wall Monday.

15 comments:

Terri said...

If moving backwards makes a gorgeous quilt like that one... well, I'd better start in reverse! That is a beaut. If you don't like it, donate it. (Hands 2 Help is looking for quilts, and you can get in on a contest at the same time. The button at the top of my sidebar will bring you there.)
Hugs

Paulette said...

It's beautiful! I love the idea of it being the center of a picnic quilt.

Julierose said...

Not "uglies" anymore--they look great! Good deal! Julierose

Aunt Marti said...

What a great way to use 5" squares -- I have thousands. Millions, maybe!

Donna said...

Your "uglies" are turning into a cheerful picnic quilt.

Teatime Creations said...

This is going to be sew pretty. Love the wy the colors come together.

Lisa Lisa said...

Love it!

Kim said...

Oh, it looks great! Separating all the colored squares with white/cream squares is a great idea--it gives the whole thing continuity and turns what may have seemed like bits of ugly fabric into something beautifully colorful!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

They are lovely - if I've ever learned anything from Bonnie Hunter it's that her saying is very true...

"If it still looks ugly you just didn't cut it small enough!"

Rhonda said...

I think it's very nicely done!!

Diana in RR,TX said...

Looks good to me. Like the cream fabric .

Sinta Renee said...

Sometimes these uglies turn out to be favorites. I think is beautiful... I would take it on a picnic we me!

Angie in SoCal said...

A colorful piece, Sophie - nothing ugly about them to me.

Angie in SoCal said...

A colorful piece, Sophie - nothing ugly about them to me.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I love this and am such a fan of scrappy quilts filled with little pieces. I'd say you aren't going backwards at all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...