Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Color Story for my Hand-pieced blocks

November #3When I looked at the block pattern for this block–it was November in the original set for Bonnie's Quilt-Along–I thought the challenge would be getting those long points right.  It turns out, hand-piecing those point was easy and the real challenge was choosing the fabrics.

There has been some discussion of "my colors" for this block, so I thought I'd blog a bit about it.  Before this project, I'd never used a printed fabric to guide my color-selection process.  I decided to try it, using the Laurel Burch fabric.  I collected tone-on-tone fabrics that were the colors I saw in the print, including prints, hand-dyes and batiks. I added black-and-white prints.

I choose the fabrics, block by block, with no advance planning ... which I know could make putting them all together in the end more challenging, but it's just more fun for me this way. In each block, I include the Laurel Burch print, a black and white print and fabrics in colors from both sides of the color wheel.  It's easy to see that in the November blocks, since there are only four fabrics, that means, one cool color, one warm color, one black & white and the focal fabric.

November #1 November #2

You might notice that some of my blocks have a lot less contrast than others.  I don't mind included a few muddled blocks in the mix, like the one with the pink points.  I think the repetition helps you see those points and the fuzziness may make someone looking at the quilt take a closer look. You often see muddled blocks in antique scrap quilts. Including them somehow makes me feel that my quilts are continuing that scrappy tradition. 

December #1Most of the blocks are made from more than four fabrics and I noticed that I tend to put together blocks from fabrics that are predominately warm, like this one that I finished last night, or predominately cool.  I always follow my rule of including at least one warm and one cool colored fabric in each block, along with at least one black & white print and the Laurel Burch fabric.

This is the first December block. My plan for Slow Stitch Sunday is to select and cut fabrics for another of these to work on tonight.

Also finished this week were the two October blocks below I really could have cropped those better so they matched like they do in real life, huh?

October #2 October #3

For anyone who wants to take a closer look at the individual blocks, check out m Flickr photo set for the Quilt-Along 2010.

I've now finished 31 of the 36 blocks planned for this project. I hope to be finished piecing this set of blocks and working on some new hand worked project the next time Slow Stitch Sunday comes around.

13 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I really enjoyed reading your post today Sophie! It was so interesting to see how you set up some structure for decision making for each block's fabrics, but have lots of room for inspiration and creativity. Your blocks are just beautiful! I would love to see how to prepare the curves for hand stitching? Do you use a thousand pins?
Thanks for linking up!

Anonymous said...

They're gorgeous! And your formula for combining fabrics is genious!

Paulette said...

I really enjoyed reading about your process for these blocks. Thanks for the link to all the blocks so I can spend time admiring each and every one!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Excellent work Sophie! Love all your color choices.

Deb A said...

Love this post! I think your process keeping one focus, one bw, one warm and one cool color is genius! I agree with adding a muddled one in there - it just adds so much to the final quilt. Great job and beautiful blocks.

Pam said...

I LOVE your blocks. wonderful colors. Thanks for sharing your process. I also like to pick out fabrics for one block at a time.

Where can I find out more about these patterns from "Bonnie"?

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love this post and reading about your color choices. Thanks for the link to all your blocks. They are beautiful.

Quilty Conscience said...

Your blocks are so energetic! Thanks for taking us through your thought processes on these blocks. Your fabric choices are wonderful. Toni

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love your blocks! Your fabric choices are wonderful and so cheerful.

audrey said...

Beautiful! I think your fabric choices are wonderful and it's great how you have guidelines without over planning the entire quilt.

libbyquilter said...

these blocks simply sizzle~!!~ i think that your 'recipe' for choosing fabrics was such a good way to go and i hope that i get to see the finished quilt as i'm sure that it's going to be stunning.

i would love to hear the details of how you handstitched these blocks. they are so well done.

:-)
libbyQ

scraphappy said...

I like your system of putting blocks together -- structure without rigidity. The fun colors really make your blocks pop. It is going to be a fun quilt when you get all the blocks together.

roccagal said...

luv your blcoks and fabric selection! cannot wait to see the finish!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...