Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Choosing the Next Project or ...

... how one thing leads to another.   I've been having a hard time settling on my project for my Lovely Finish for April.

When I read Barbara's post about her April Goals, I told her that it was a lot like was going on in my head at the moment. The pull of play and putting together another quilt in the style of Bloom and Cock-a-Doodle Tea Towel is strong, but I also liked the idea of more FMQ on the old Singer 301 to see if, with enough practice, I could develop skills on this machine.  And then along came the shoulds ... I felt I should pull out an old UFO and finish it.  After a couple days of thought, this is my compromise with myself–an old UnFinished Object that needs some design elements ... and quilting.

Flying Geese Quilt in Progress

The Flying Geese top was put together and put away a few years ago. It's approximately 45 x 54 inches.   My intention was to add an appliqué section at the top and some borders.  

In the way that one thing leads to another, seeing my bird blocks (for the April Block Lotto) at the top of my design wall yesterday made me wonder how they'd work as a border for this quilt. I liked the idea of bordering the traditional Flying GEESE blocks with the BIRD blocks and my original plan for appliqué included some birds ... but looking at them together, I wasn't so sure.  Then, within minutes of uploading the photo to Flickr, a comment was added by Amy: love the birds at the top.  

I think I need to think on it a little more.  (I'll finish my round on the Cotton Robin quilt at my house in the meantime.) 

I found this familiar-looking block folded in with the project.  It was another design idea for the top of the quilt.

Oh Look!  Another Sun Block

This is my first ever drafted-by-me rising sun block.  It was a test block made before making a block for my Bee in Michigan.  It's probably 5 or 6 years old–funny how long that particular design idea has been with me, huh?

Whatever direction I take these scrappy Flying geese blocks, this quilt is my chosen goal for a Lovely Finish in April and my Show & Tell for Pat Sloan's blog.


11 comments:

Terri said...

Love the birds, and your every color Flying geese... so pretty, and fun.
Hugs

Kathryn said...

I like that bird/bird combination.

Quilting Babcia said...

Me too, I think those blocks really play well together!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Those birds make the whole quilt!! They are unique

Kate North said...

I really like the birds with the geese as well, though perhaps with some sort of border between the beige/taupe/neutral colour around the geese and the blue sky background of the birds. Are those geese related to the jewel tone lotto blocks in the same pattern? If so, I know they've been around a while - so long that even _I_ have made a completed quilt from the blocks I was inspired to make based on the lotto block. LOL.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I love the birds with the geese, and you could put that sun smack dab in the middle on the top with birds all around and it would look fabulous!

Barbara said...

I think the birds would be adorable.

Brenda said...

love, love, love the birds with the geese. maybe some more birds on the bottom too?

Anonymous said...

I love your birds and geese together! I really enjoy reading your thoughts as you create.

The Reader said...

So pretty! what a fun way to use flying geese blocks, and top them with birds...adorable!

Cathy said...

Those birds are the cutest...and how clever to add to flying geese blocks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...