Monday, March 25, 2013

Cock-a-Doodle-Tea Towel Quilt

Cock-a-Doodle Tea Towel is done!  I finished stitching down the black binding and added the hanging sleeve last night. The black binding is all but invisible in front of the black wall in the studio ... but will look great once it's hang in my house.

Cock-a-Doodle-Tea Towel

The quilt measures 40 by 56 inches.  It is machine pieced, hand appliquéd and machine quilted--my first FMQ effort on my Singer 301.

I used the tea towel on which it's based (for the tea towel challenge), a vintage woven tablecloth and quilting cottons, including many of the Shades of Gray charms from a swap last year.  Another part of the challenge was to use made fabric, which you can see in the pieced hens, appliqué backgrounds and border triangles. I also decided to see the checkerboard sections as a more traditional form of made fabric, especially the small 4-patches which really were added so I could use some smaller pieces of fabric, since I had decided to work from stash ONLY.

The third part of the challenge was to try something new. Besides my quilting adventure on the Singer 301, other first time techniques include using kitchen parchment as a design tool (for the sun section), an appliqué prep technique I used to make it easier to turn under the edges of the tablecloth and the 3D beaks on the hens, created by inserting prairie points into the seam. 

Here's a mosaic of some of the details of the quilt.  Use the links in the key to go to the original photos on Flickr for an even closer look, if you're curious.

Tea Towel Quilt Details Mosaic


This project is my Lovely Finish for March.  Yay!  I finished with a week to go :-)

My design wall is virtually unchanged since last week, so I'm sharing this quilt for Design Wall Monday ... it will soon be hanging on a different sort of wall in my kitchen.  I'm also linking to Leah's FMQ Friday, since a large part of making this quilt was my FMQ adventure on the Singer 301, and Lily's Fresh Sewing Day.

24 comments:

Julierose said...

Congratulations on a lovely finish--and all those new techniques that will now be in your repetoire! Julierose

Maree said...

It looks fabulous Sophie.

Quilty Conscience said...

Good for you! A fine finish. I love the hens.

Julianne said...

So cute.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I just love it!!

roccagal said...

just fabulous! i was wondering when you would take the leap! you did a great job! I am really impressed!

Rhonda said...

I think it's a fantastic finish. I love this quilt, the colors and all the techniques you used. Great job!!

Gail in Vegas said...

Beautiful! Hard to believe it started with a towel. I love the colors you used and the changed checkerboard. Great job!

Béa said...

Very original and so beautiful, I love it Sophie !

Terri said...

It's gorgeous Sophie! It would look nice hanging in my kitchen! ;)

Terri Coty

Lucky Ducky Linda said...

Oh it's adorable! I love the chicks at the bottom and the Good Morning and all the other details. And the colors!

Patti said...

This is just so cool! What a great way to make the best of a challenge!

Anonymous said...

And a wonderful finish it is! I love how big it got, too. The way it goes from green "grass" to yellow sun is great.

joe tulips said...

You did a fantastic job with all of it! I love everything about it!

Pokey said...

I think it is amazing all you put into this quilt--and starting with a tea towel for inspiration! the colors are wonderful to begin with, but oh, the designs you continued on outside of your medallion-like center is grand. What a wonderful art accomplishment!
:-}pokey

Bridget said...

Looking at this I am reminded of Gwen Marston's stuff. Good stuff, that is.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Absolutely Stunning!

Tamera said...

What a stunning finish! It's beautiful!

Bunny said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. I love the design of it. Gret job.

Heidi Staples said...

Wow!!!

Celtic Thistle said...

Fabulous quilt, so many fascinating techniques too!

Jenny said...

Oh..this is awesome and yes, the colors are just yummy!

Jennie said...

Wow - a LOT of work has gone into this - congratulations!

Unknown said...

Beautiful job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...