Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Two Projects, Some Progress

Scrappy Triangles
These two, jarringly different projects are living side-by-side on my design wall today.

The scrappy-with-a-lot-of-purpole triangle squares are the result of lots of mindless meditative cutting and sewing and trimming of those 128 half-square triangles that I shared yesterday, followed by some playing/arranging them and sewing them together. They are 24 inches square and intended to become pillow shams to use along with the Wild Pansy quilt. As I wait for Spring, I could use a boost of color in my life and I think putting thes color-saturated pieces on my bed could do the trick.

I blogged on the Block Lotto yesterday about the influences in this little project: A lotto block from last year, the arrangement in one of the quilts made by one of the winners of those blocks, and a comment about some other scrappy lotto blocks received by one of the December winners.

You can see those influences in that article and read more about this project, here:

My Block Lotto–Influenced Project

Isn't it funny how some blocks, designs and comments in a blog post can stick with us?

Still on the WallSpeaking of things that stick, I couldn't let go of the idea of using a scrappy checkerboard around the sun in my tea towel challenge quilt.

While sewing the triangles together, I kept thinking about my options. After the two big scrappy squares were finished, I reworked my checkerboard sky.

I didn't notice the symmetry of those black and white squares until looking at the photo.  It's bugging me enough that I'll have to change it, but overall, I like the lighter-brighter version of that design element.

I feel like I need to focus on that section, resolve my questions about it and finish it before I move on.

I'm still pretty happy with where it's going so far.  I think I may need another hen.  I don't know where the butterflies will ultimately land and the idea I have in my head for balancing the dark background behind the sunflowers is still untested.  In other words, it's still a challenge ... and I'm still having fun with it :-)

Checkerboard Sky Revisited

I'm joining Lee's WIP Wednesday Linky party on Freshly Pieced.

7 comments:

Freddie said...

Lots of little triangles. They look great.

Quilting Babcia said...

I absolutely love where your tea towel challenge piece is headed! And your triangle blocks would go great with the quilt I'm FMQ'ing at the moment.

Reese @ Quilty Reese said...

After seeing your blog on Freshly Pieced I recognized Block Lotto. I think I participated a couple times back when you were on about.com forums. It must have been ten years ago. It was great to find you again when I have more time to be more active. I signed up today and hope to make some march blocks soon.

Farm Quilter said...

Love the new checkerboard background - it doesn't compete with the rest of the quilt, just quietly completes it perfectly!!!

Renee said...

Very fun HST, and I love the good morning quilt! Wonderful colors.

Anonymous said...

I love what you did with the HSTs! I'm not sure what you mean about the symmetry of the black and white squares, but I love, love, love what you've done with that whole thing, but especially the squares behind your "daisies."

Paulette said...

Somehow I missed this post, but I'm glad I found it now. I simply adore how this came together! Love the sunshine block surrounded by the checkerboard at the top, and the words along the side. Fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...