Friday, March 29, 2013

Hmmmm ...

Finished and HungToday I hung Cock-a-Doodle-Tea Towel.  It's the first time I've tried using the 3M Control Strip hooks ... my fingers are crossed.  FYI, the door to the left of the quilt is a short one--to my pantry.

The positive response to this quilt, in comments here and on the 15 Minutes of Play blog post have been so supportive and flattering.   Thank you for taking the time to send me your reaction and for seeing some of the fine points of what I was trying to accomplish.

I loved working in this making-it-up-as-I-go fashion and as I consider my next project, I'm torn between pulling out a finished top and quilting it on the Singer 301 to improve my skills on that machine or finding a project (likely a WIP) that will allow me more playtime like this.

I confess there was one comment that had me scratching my head a bit.
Hmm...the first Quilt Sampler magazine?
I have probably blogged more about this project than any other and I would have thought it was pretty clear to anyone reading my posts that I was making up the design as I went along.  When Laurina pointed out I had done something similar in the round robin quilt I made for her, I laughed, because she was SO RIGHT, I had added a similar sun, some (different words) and a checkerboard border.  I think I liked what I did to her quilt so much that my mind just never let go of those ideas.

But the suggestion that this quilt design already existed was mind boggling.

I had a feeling that since I didn't remember a "first" Quilt Sampler magazine, it probably pre-dated me, as a quilter ... and it turns out that was true.

I looked but wasn't able to find it online, but my friend Wendy found a copy on eBay and sent me the photo and this link to the 1995 issue.  I don't know if this is the "first" issue, but I'm guessing that the cover quilt, with it's checkerboard border, a different kind of sun and some different appliquéd words is the quilt that the anonymous commenter thought of when she left the comment.  I don't see any chickens or flowers on the cover quilt ... and well, I honestly don't see how anyone could think it inspired my quilt.

A couple last links for people who have asked.  I found the tea towel I used on Amazon here:

Ivan Bartlett Reproduction Tea Towel

And for those that liked the hen blocks, I didn't use a pattern, but I recently discovered a nice tutorial by  Vicki on her blog, Sew Inspired, for a very similar block here:

Chicken Quilt Block Tutorial

If you like the appliqué sunflowers and coneflowers, you can find them in the book, The Easy Art of Appliqué by Mimi Dietrich and Roxi Eppler.

I'm going to celebrate this quilt one more time and join the linky parties for Finish It Up Friday,  Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Off the Wall Fridays, Pat Sloan's Show and Tell, and the Weekend Update on the Block Lotto.

13 comments:

Maree said...

I agree - what a strange comment. Your quilt looks nothing like the one on the cover of that magazine. I am in awe of what you have produced - it looks fabulous hanging on the wall. I really like the colours you have used.

joe tulips said...

I have that magazine! As I followed the process of this quilt, never, not once did I ever think of the quilt on that cover!
I gave my youngest a bunch of those hooks when he left for college. I hope they come back un-used. I know how I can use them now. Good idea!

Julierose said...

Weird comment--your tea towel quilt is definitely an original..love it to pieces...Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Your quilt doesn't even remotely look like the one on the magazine cover! What a great finished piece you have and those colors are just so striking and perfect! Great work!

Anonymous said...

I would never have looked at that cover magazine and thought it was inspiration for what you did. It isn't that you both have a sun and some checkerboard, it's how you used your sun and checkerboard. They are completely different. If we go by that rule, then every quilt with a particular design element was inspired by the first every-so-many great grandmothers who used those elements! Love the way it looks on your wall!

Mama Spark said...

Oh Sophie, this is gorgeous!! I LOVE your colors and the design is fab!!

Anita said...

A very nice tea towel quilt! I hope I will be able to improvise like this, one day.

dianne said...

the design of your quilt is uniquely you - and i, for one, love it!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Sophie. Cool quilt! I like the colors with the black, which makes it very distinctive. You probably got that perplexing comment because of a faint resemblance (very faint) in the sun overhead. I like your version--spiky points add so much to a design.
best, nadia

Andra Gayle said...

LOVE IT! Great job!

Unknown said...

I love your quilt. I have yardage of this beautiful teal fabric i bought a few years ago and your wall hanging has inspired me to get it out and make something with it.. www,notionnanny.blogspot.com.

Paulette said...

It is beautiful and so cheery hanging on your wall!

Vicki said...

What a weird comment. Hasn't quilt sampler been around for at least 12 years or something? I can't believe they would remember that and imply you copied that design. Weird.

Thanks for linking to my chickens! I need to make some more of them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...