It's my pick for a Lovely Finish in March.
The fabrics are laid around the finished sections where they will be dominant so I can check for overall balance. I'm not sure that mottled green square near the bottom right will make the cut. The pale gold at the top is from a vintage tablecloth with interesting woven texture. I plan a couple more pieced sections and more appliqué ... all finished with a scrappy pieced border. None of the sections are sewn together yet ... there could be more shuffling before I'm through.
The rules for the Tea Towel challenge are:
Build a quilt around a tea towel
Check. As much as I loved this (new, from Moda Home) tea towel--the subtle coloring is a challenge. It would be easy to overwhelm it with brighter quilting cottons. I've decided to stay within the four colors palette in the towel and am trying to let the towel be the star at the center of this medallion-style quilt.
Incorporate made fabric
The black fabric behind the appliqué is made from scraps from my black bin. The hens are also made of made fabric using cream scraps. I plan more made fabric in other sections.
Find one new technique
The appliqué prep technique I used for the thick coarsely woven vintage tablecloth (at the top of the design wall) that I used for the sunflowers was new to me. I have some more appliqué planned with that fabric and will share how I did it. I also have plans for one more new-to-me technique in this quilt.