Sunday, March 10, 2013

Checkerboard Sky?

My plan was to add a checkerboard sky to the sun I made yesterday and to spend part of my slow stitch Sunday appliquéing the sun in place.

Checkerboard Sky

But ... I'm not completely happy with it, so it may sit on design wall while I consider it and some other options.  Building this quilt by focusing on one section at a time has been interesting. I had been thinking about scrappy checkerboard borders.  My strong negative reaction to this is a reminder to wait until I get there.

Purples for a Scrappy BindingIn the meantime, I cut some binding strips from this stack of purple-ish fabrics. Finally binding a long-ago finished quilt is my Sunday evening back-up plan.

I woke to a frosting of snow and ice on the ground and sleety rain. Spending some time with a large quilt on my lap while I stitch down the binding has some appeal.

I'm linking to Kathy's Slow Stitch Sunday today. I loved her post about chaos theory and focusing on just one thing with positive intent.

UPDATE: While working on the purple binding, I kept looking over at the design wall and had the same thought as many who left comments–it's not the checkerboard that bugs me, but the combination of fabrics.  How cool to come online and get that confirmation from all of you.

As a test, I converted the photo above to black and white.


Checkerboard - converted to B&W

I'm still not 100% sure I'll go this way, but looking at it in black and white, already I like it SO much more.

Quilt #1 with my borders I have made similar sun blocks a couple times, including the one I added to Laurina's Cotton Robin quilt last year–I actually used a pattern I found online for that one. 

Coincidentally, I added a checkerboard border (At the bottom) to that one, too.  I wasn't really aware of it until Laurina mentioned it, but I definitely brought some design ideas from my round on her quilt to my tea towel challenge.

You can see the finished round robin quilt on her blog, Chicky Quilts, here.

Monday Afternoon Update

The sun and its surrounding checkerboard look the same on my design wall, but I did finish the binding last night.  I've posted an update with photos of the quilt, here.

And I'm joining the list on Judy's Design Wall Monday.


10 comments:

lj_cox said...

Hrmm. Gotta say, the checkerboard doesn't work for me either. I (being my usual 'simple' self) would really like a pieced fan arrangement like the old-fashioned art-deco sun rays to back up that panel.

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

I don't mind the checkboard but perhaps just using solid colors in varying tones of one color would work better. The b&w checkers kind of drag your attention away from the sun and it's fabulous b&w background.
Love all the purples, my favorite color.

Laurina said...

Sophie - there's something familiar about the sun and checkerboard...I like the checkerboard but maybe it has too much contrast with the b&w prints. Maybe all green/gray? BTW, I love the tea towel idea - I saw some vintage ones this weekend and was very tempted.

Quilter Kathy said...

Thanks for visiting and linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching! Enjoy binding...my fave!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I like the checkerboard behind the sun. I always use a pattern when making a quilt, but your post inspires me to try do do that some day.

Kate North said...

I like the idea of the chequerboard, though I'm not sure I like the reality of it in your photo - I think for me the background of the sun (which I love) just doesn't really work with the very varied chequerboard (which I also love). Black and white may be the way to go and save the b/w/teal for another project? Your instincts are usually pretty good, though, so I'd trust yourself on this!

sophie said...

Coincidentally, the name of the black and white floral print (which is a golden oldie Kaufman print from my stash) is Kitchy Kitchen--kind of perfect for this kitchen linens based project.

audrey said...

I like to get things all figured out and then let it sit and simmer for a little bit before I go ahead. If you're not sure, then it's better to know why.:) Bindings what I'm working on today too.:)

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I sort of like the checkerboard myself. And the colors and fabrics don't bother me at all.

If they do bother you, maybe change the value to a lower one.

Let me go kill a basset, i hear strange noises.
glen

Rainbows in Wool said...

i'm thinking checker board all in B&W, but then what do I know I haven't made that many quilts but I liked the B&W photo for sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...