Sunday, March 17, 2013

Nature Abhors a Vacuum ...

My design wall was all but blank for a couple days and I couldn't stand it anymore.

This afternoon, I pulled out these hand-pieced blocks from 2010 and put them up, to give those two unused butterfly blocks some company.   (My cotton robin project is also on the wall ... but since it's a secret, I cropped it out).

  Back on the Design Wall

These blocks were made were block-of-the-month patterns some friends from my small group in Michigan were piecing and I wanted to play along.  I think they all finished their quilts from these blocks, while life and a few moves got in my way and I only got as far as "June"  These blocks, some fabrics and all envelopes with the block patterns have been packed away far too long.

My original plan was to make three blocks from each pattern for a total of 36 blocks for a wall hanging that would be approximately 50 inches square. For Slow Stitch Sunday, I'm picking this up again. 

Quilting Continues ... with help from GraceWhile I continue quilting the challenge quilt  (here, with Grace Hopper's help), and develop some FMQ technique on the Singer 301, I think some hand-piecing will provide a relaxing balance.

And who knows? I might actually make some progress on this three-year-old work in progress.

15 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Fabulous to see your project! Thanks for linking up!

Cathy said...

Wow! I'm in love with our project.

Julierose said...

those little butterfly blocks are too cute; you really cut a whole lotta pieces for the others!! Really nice work...Julierose

Patti said...

These are much too nice to not finish. I'm glad you are starting to work on them again. Hand piecing can be so relaxing and satisfying!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Wow! Great blocks in great colors, and I love the two little butterflies! Hope to see this project as it progresses and comes to completion.

Deb A said...

Love your blocks. Very colorful and a great burst of color. Those butterfly's are adorable.

Kris said...

I am so glad you picked this project up again!! It is my kind of project!! I am excited about seeing your progress each Sunday!!

joe tulips said...

Wow! These blocks are amazing. Love them. More sit and stare blocks from Sophie.

black bear cabin said...

Those NY beauties are wonderful...and i love the bold fabric choices! ive always wanted to try some of those blocks but im a bit chicken because of the curves :) look forward to seeing what you add to it!

audrey said...

Your blocks are so colorful and just wonderful looking. Hand piecing has definitely been more relaxing for me that I ever thought it would be!

Beth in MN said...

Love the blocks. So bright and cheerful. I also like to hand piece, especially the more complex type of blocks.

Nann said...

Oh, whew. At first glance I thought you were going to give us those NYB variations for Block Lotto! (However, those butterflies could be elongated....)

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

The colors are so vibrant ; just beautiful!

~Kris~ said...

I love your blocks. The colors are just dynamite.

Rhonda said...

Those blocks are stunning with the dramatic colors.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...