One of the things I challenged myself to do on this project was to quilt it on my Singer 301.
I started my day by making myself a nice big latté and enjoying it while giving my machine some TLC. Did you know the original owners manual for the 301 recommends,
If the machine is used continuously, it should be oiled daily.Another of my personal challenges for this quilt was to use only fabric and thread from my stash. Next, I auditioned a selection of threads I thought I'd use.
I was confident that the Singer would be happy with the cotton King Tut; less so about the shiny rayon threads from Isacord, Sulky and Mettler that I wanted to use to add some shine to the tea towel at the center of my quilt.
While I waited for my oatmeal to cook (in the rice cooker–the easiest way I know to make steel cut oats), I tested with a couple of the fine threads on some scraps and batting trimmed from another project.
After a breakfast break, I was good to go.
I started by outlining some of the design elements of the tea towel. I could be outlining those little leaves for a while ...