Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Getting Ready to Quilt


SimpleMedallionIdea
If you had a hard time visualizing what my quickly sketched, black and white, simple medallion idea would look like made from real quilt blocks, here's one example, using this month's Banded Basket blocks.  It's a 30-inch square, a good size to center upon my small dining table.

I used the bonus triangle squares left over from the basket blocks to create the "boxes" in the corner and center squares.

Sorry for the badly lit photo.  It's a rare, gray, overcast day in Santa Fe–a good day to stay in, layer and baste quilts and begin to quilt them–but not so great for taking good photos ...

Holiday Baskets and Boxes

I don't think I have ever marked a quilt for quilting, except maybe in a workshop, but I like the idea of repeating the shape of the skinny round basket handles and so I see a marking adventure ahead for me today. 

The Banded Basket block pattern can be found in the set of 2013 Lotto block patterns at the top of my Block Patterns page.  Any of this year's 6-by-9 inch blocks could be used in this simple medallion idea. Now that's I've tested my little idea and can see it in the flesh (and fabric), I think I will use it again for a quick quilt. 

I'm joining the WIP Wednesday list on Freshly Pieced and Esther Aliu's WOW.  I think I enjoy seeing and reading about the works-in-progress as much as enjoying the finished quilts. 

1 comment:

Hilda said...

A gray cloudy day here in Willard as well. We've been lucky to heat the house entirely with solar during the day for a long while now, so I can't complain! Just hope it doesn't last too long. I crave the sunshine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...