Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Thing About Knitting

A long time ago, a co-worker explained to me that she chooses to knit, rather than sew because if something doesn't fit or you don't like it, you can unravel a knit garment and start over. I was recently reminded of Miriam and her attitude, when I picked up a long-forgotten sock project a couple weeks ago, thinking it would be a good one to take along on a trip.

Knitting on airplanesSocks are a perfect for knitting on planes, both because of their small size and because no one feels threatened by the toothpick-sized needles you use to make them.

The patten was an easy one to pick up again: Jaywalkers by Grumperina. The Zig-Zag pattern is really pretty ingenious, easily remembered and quick to knit.

I had to laugh at the archeological clues in the project bag of the origins of the project: a business card from someone I met on a train from Lansing to Chicago (to attend the Spring Quilt Festival when it was there), a package from some tea I had enjoyed during a sleep/nap study and the original wrapper that identified the yarn and the shop where I'd bought the interesting hand-dyed yarn.  I didn't really think about why I had stopped knitting, but happily picked it up again on the flight from Santa Fe to Dallas and Dallas to Houston.

A completed pairI finished up that first sock during Quilt Festival and cast on stitches for the second at breakfast on Sunday, to prepare for the trip home. While the first sock literally took YEARS to finish, the second was completed in 4 days.

And then I sort of remembered what soured me on the project way back whenever it was. As much as I loved the yarn and the knit patterns, I didn't like the socks on my feet.

And so while I might count this as a finish, I'll be spending some time slow UN-stitching them this Sunday.

I'm not sure if they'll become socks in a different style or perhaps a scarf or little shawl.  I did fall in love with the subtle color combinations in the yarn and have started to look at pattern ideas so that I can pick it up and start knitting something with it again soon.


Detail of yarn colors and stitches

This yarn has always said autumn to me ... maybe I'll actually finish something that stays finished before winter arrives. 

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh my! I don't think I could bear to un-stitch gorgeous socks like those.

And that reminds me...I bought yarn 3 years ago to try my hand at crocheted socks (I haven't knit since high school) and haven't tried yet. I'm going on a long car trip next weekend and I just may take that along as a project. Or not.

Sue McPeak said...

I see we are thinking alike about knitting. I hope you are successful in finishing a PAIR of socks...I suffer from SSS and still do not have a pair of matching socks.

I mostly post about quilting, but today I posted about knitting...you might enjoy Fixin' SSK SlipUps...just click on my signature link to read.

Sue CollectInTexas Gal

PS...SSS...Second Sock Syndrome

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh dear... unstitching is relaxing I guess, but no fun!

Unknown said...

On the flight between Chicago & Houston, there was only one little baby on the plane, so I knit her an umbilical cord hat by the time the plane neared Houston. The parents really liked it. There were too many babies on the flight back to make hats so I read. Knitting baby hats is my go to portable brain dead project.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...