Monday, November 25, 2013

Orphan Blocks, I Have Few

A suggestion for a "dud" block lotto had me pulling out my orphan blocks from 10 years of leading the Block Lotto.  I found a few ... now living on my design wall for Judy's Design Wall Monday.

Orphan Lotto Blocks on my Design Wall

When Julie (aka Joe Tulips) suggested a "dud block lotto" for the blocks we have made that came up too small, too large or otherwise not right, I thought it was a great idea, but I wondered would anyone besides the two of us want these orphans.  After floating the idea on the Block Lotto, it seems there's enough interest to move forward.

One of these–the paper pieced star in the upper right–is 10 years old. It was the last block I made during the second year of the block lotto ... the month that no one besides me made blocks and I decided to give it a rest :-)

A few of these were made by others and mailed to me too late to be included, back in the days when all the blocks came to me and I sorted them into sets and sent them on to the winners.  Probably half were leftover lotto block patterns made by me in different colors/fabrics than those we used for the lotto.   The big block with four split hearts was my experiment in using the divided 9-patch technique as setting idea.  (You can read more about how I did it here: Disappearing 9-Patch)

Even if you're no longer part of the Block Lotto community, if you have participated in the Block Lotto in the past and have some orphan blocks of your own and want to participate in our "Dud" lotto, check out the Block Lotto in December.

Now I just have to narrow this group down to the maximum of 12 for the bonus lotto.

1 comment:

Terri said...

You just need a few more blocks and you could make a very interesting quilt.
Hugs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...