Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pumpkin Butter ... Mmmmm

Pumpkin Latté ... mmmmI've never been a fan of those Pumpkin-Spiced Lattés (PSL) at coffee shops across the country. They always seemed to me to taste more of artificial flavors than pumpkin pie.

But then, on impulse, I brought home some pumpkin butter in a jar which led to the idea of making my own, less sweetened version.

I am always surprised when it occurs to me to look online for recipes for something in my head ... and I find them.  I made the Smitten Kitten's version of Pumpkin Butter, found here, along with Pepita Granola.

I have made it a couple times, starting with a pie pumpkin or a can of organic pumpkin. Last week, I made a half recipe, using a 15 oz can of pumpkin and ended up with these two jars of pumpkin-y goodness.  They will probably last through my Fall cravings for these flavors.

It does makes great PSLs with the flavor of pumpkin pie, not artificial flavoring. At my house they are made with almond milk, espresso, a big spoon of pumpkin crack butter and cinnamon sprinkled on top.

It is also good as a spread on toast or apple slices, stirred into oatmeal or yogurt,  added to smoothies, or as part of a cheese plate after dinner.  I haven't tried it (yet), but I'll bet it would be tasty blended with bananas to make an ice-cream like desert.  Lately, though, i've felt more like building a fire in the fireplace than making ice cream ... winter is definitely on the way.

1 comment:

Terri said...

Sounds yummy, Sophie. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...