Thursday, November 14, 2013

Some Unwanted Attention

Birthday FireworksAn old acquaintance came into town earlier this week and insisted that he take me to dinner to celebrate my birthday (which was last week.)

And then, despite my firm objections, he insisted that I enjoy the fireworks that the restaurant provides for birthdays because while he waited for me to arrive, he had seen another birthday celebration.

And so, along with the apple crisp ala mode that we shared, this was also served.   (That's the insister on the other side of the table, taking an especially unflattering photo of me with his phone while trying to stay out of the shot I was taking with mine.)

For me, birthdays have become a much more intimate and introspective event. And while I'd never say no to a birthday party–for me or anyone else–and I really don't think anyone should be forced to have a party they don't want ... or indoor fireworks.

5 comments:

Paulette said...

Oh my gosh, fireworks?! And I thought it was quite enough when all the waitstaff comes out clapping and singing an obnoxious song. I hope your birthday was otherwise happy anyway!

Barbara said...

Oh gosh, in my experience, when folks decide to honor you there is no stopping them. Might as well go with the flow. Happy birthday.

Terri said...

Interesting how the fireworks photographed - isn't it?
BTW, Happy Birthday!
Hugs

Anonymous said...

I'm with you 100%.

joe tulips said...

I am with you on this. I like quiet birthdays. It is like he is saying you will thank me for this, but in the end...you are left thinking...
Thankful for what?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...