Sunday, June 02, 2013

Getting Ready for some Appliqué

Here's a photo of my progress with the scrappy red little daisies that put together using English paper piecing and the sewing basket that I use to carry small projects from studio to den and back again.


Sewing Basket

I bought it at a quilt show in Michigan. I thought the basket was beautiful and I liked the useful little dowel that holds spools of thread and keeps them from rolling off tables (and out of the paws of curious cats).  The envelopes contain the paper pieces for the daisies; my sewing kit holds needles, thimble, thread, and a small pair of scissors ... though they usually end up in the bottom of the basket, just as they are now.

I'd been thinking about making some sort of liner/organizer and, earlier this week, I saw Benta's tutorial post on making a Crafty Caddy.  Mine is smaller.  I started with a 10 inch square to make it 4 inches square and 3 inches tall. As she suggested, I added a inside pocket.  I decided to bind the top edge instead of having a seamed edge and, because I was having so much fun playing with scraps, I also made a small pin cushion with a strap on the back to slide onto the dowel with the spools.

Little Caddy   Slide-on Pincushion

My cats have been known to pull pins out of pincushions and so keep them in closed tins.  This little pincushion will be used to park a needle or a pin or two while I'm stitching.

To fit in the basket nicely, the corners were folded flat–they are still functional as pockets for my small scissors, a seam ripper, etc. This afternoon, I'm placing the vines that will support these star-like flowers; my plan for Slow Stitch Sunday, is to begin the appliqué tonight.  I'm ready.

Ready to work

8 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I really love your daisies! Are you going to applique them onto a block? They are so cute!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You are really making great daisies!

Sherry said...

Will look forward to seeing the completed daisy project, love the colors.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a great organizer basket!
Enjoy your stitches!

scraphappy said...

What a sweet sewing basket. The dowel for thread is just too perfect. Glad you are finding some quiet time to sew.

Renee said...

Your stars are wonderful! I love the utility of the basket and the additions you've added.

Anonymous said...

Love your basket and personalized modifications. The idea of a dowel is great!

Helen Wahl said...

the Daisy's are adorable! Did you design them?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...